by TeamTeamUSA, published
"Every minute, at least one woman dies from complications related to pregnancy or childbirth"
-World Health Organization http://www.who.int/features/qa/12/en/index.html
UPDATE 02012-12-15: Meeting went great; beginning collaboration with WinSenga team in 2013! First order of business is obtaining an antenatal care medical manikin/simulator. Anyone have one they want to donate?
UPDATE 02012-12-04: Excited to meet the WinSenga team this week! They're in the US taking meetings and receiving their Microsoft Imagine Cup award.
Inspired by the awesome work of the WinSenga team http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120927-mobile-ear-for-pregnancy-problems, this is a MakerBottable Pinard horn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinard_horn, a 19th century fetal stethoscope. This MakerSenga - senga is the local Ugandan name for midwife - can be used to diagnose fetal health by a trained practitioner or, paired with the end cap microphone, by anyone with the WinSenga software!
By Miles Lightwood of TeamTeamUSA.
Community health worker photo by Sven Torfin
For a traditional Pinard horn, print:
For a potentially WinSenga http://winsenga.org compatible Pinard horn, print both files:
- You must use support material to print the MakerSenga_cap.stl, and it's not as difficult as it sounds! Use MakerWare's built-in raft and support if you've got a Replicator, or use Matt's excellent support settings for a T-O-M or a Cupcake: makerbot.com/blog/2011/06/27/makerbot-microtip-using-the-support-features-in-skeinforges-raft-tool/
- Once printed, the support material is easily removed.
- The cap doesn't rotate fully to a locking position yet (but can be sanded/filed to fit).
- The exact microphone has yet to be determined, but the one pictured is the first candidate. The design will remain "in progress" until the final microphone is determined.
- The pictured MakerSenga has not been tested with WinSenga and is a proof-of-concept only.
You can print it - you know you can!
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
MakerSenga by TeamTeamUSA is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure TeamTeamUSA would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).