by manboy, published
Certain aspects of the model were drawn inaccurate on purpose because to draw them realistically would cause problems during printing (Ex:solar array thickness, trunk thickness, trunk depth, alignment guides on the Common Berthing Mechanism...).
I created this model because I wanted something more accurate than the model already on Thingverse.
Please let me know if there are any issues with the models.
**Model description:** Basic capsule shape with no detail.
- Dragon capsule simple.stl
**Model description:** Heavily detailed capsule.
- Dragon capsule complex.stl
**Model description:** Capsule, trunk and solar arrays are one piece. Capsule has no detail.
- Dragon spacecraft joined simple.stl
**Model description:** Capsule, trunk and solar arrays are one piece. Capsule is heavily detailed.
- Dragon spacecraft joinedÂ“ complex.stl
**Model description:** Model is meant to be displayed on a flat surface and is intended to be assembled without glue. The trunk is removable and the solar arrays can be rotated a full 360 degrees. The capsule is heavily detailed and has four holes on the bottom of it to help keep it attached to the trunk. Trunk depth is limited to avoid conflicting with how the solar arrays are attached. This is the version seen in the main image.
- Dragon spacecraft explodedÂ“ Capsule.stl
- Dragon spacecraft exploded Trunk.stl
- Dragon spacecraft exploded Solar array.stl
- Dragon spacecraft exploded.stl
- Dragon spacecraft exploded.dwg
**File description:** AutoCad source file.
- Dragon spacecraft.dwg
**File description:** The Dragon spacecraft files that were on Thingiverse from 8 Juanuary 2013 to 8 July 2013.
- Old Dragon spacecraft models.zip
**Common spacecraft model scales:**
- Dragon_spacecraft_joined.stl = 1.8 inches (46 mm) tall and 4.8 inches (122 mm) wide.
- Dragon_spacecraft_joined.stl = 3.5 inches (89 mm) tall and 9.6 inches (243 mm) wide.
- Dragon capsule = 2.0 inches (51 mm) tall and 2.1 inches (53 mm) wide.
- Dragon capsule = 3.1 inches (79 mm) tall and 3.2 inches (81 mm) wide.
- Dragon_spacecraft_exploded__Solar_array.stl = 6.7 inches (170 mm) wide.
- Dragon capsule = 6.1 inches (155 mm) tall and 6.3 iches (160 mm) wide.
- Dragon_spacecraft_exploded__Solar_array.stl = 13.4 inches (340 mm) wide.
Recent Commentsview all
The exterior trunk diameter is actually 144 inches, 142 inches is the interior diameter. Right now I'm working on rescaling certain parts of the model for accuracy.
I've modified this design so it can be printed by Shapeways. The model is available here: http://shpws.me/ojnC
I've also created other parts needed to build the SpaceX Falcon 9 in 1:144 scale.
When I open the file dragon_capsule_complex in my CAD app, the diameter is given as 138.85". That looks a bit underscale to me.
From the Dragonlab datasheet, the trunk diameter is 3.6m/142". From photos, the base of the capsule should be 1.0666 times larger than that, or 3.84 m/151.2".
To correct for this, the drawing must be scaled by a factor of 1.0888.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
You must be logged in to post a comment.