Loading

BMW e46 magnetic tablet holder stripe

by fns720, published

BMW e46 magnetic tablet holder stripe by fns720 Nov 18, 2012

Description

This is a simple neodym magnet holder designed to fit onto the stripe above the radio on BMW e46's dashboard. I attached a thin, 0.3 mm metal stripe to my iPad's cover to fix it to my car's dashboard as easy as I can, without any drilling of the car. The magnet holder stripe was fixed to the car by using 3M's VHB tape.
I used 10x8x30 mm neodym magnets to the final model. They are strong enough to hold the 10 inch iPad in place in case of the most extreme conditions.

youmagine.com/designs/bmw-e46-magnetic-tablet-holder-stripe

Recent Comments

view all

So i finally made my version of the ho,der.

Luckally, my dash has a small flat surface locally, so i did not had to make a specific interface piece.

Just glued the magnets on the inside of the dash and done.

After removing the tablet, nothing is visible.

Still great inputs how you did this.

Hi FNS720, thanks to google translate i could kind a follow the procedure,
as a matter of facts, yesterday evening, i was taking pics from the exact same angle in my car, trying to figure out how to get that rear curved shape, your clay suggestion is dead easy and i will go for that. The pink foam translation got messed up,and as i cannot figure out how you used that, i'll go for the clay trick.
Also checked hte magnets you use, on the strip you have, i think the weight they can hold was 17 kg.

The only thing i want to do different, is using a plastic clamshell around my Nexus 7, and add that .3 mm strip on the shell.. Reason is that when i take the Nexus out the car, i have a protective case on the tablet , plus i don't have to tape anything on the tablet directly.

My car does nto have that big a space in between the fan vents and the mid console, guess roughly only7 mm, iwant to keep it clean just as you did, i'll post some pics when i get there, i even downloaded your STL and used it to measure in SKetchup. By the way, you can actually buy thin aluminium labels,similar look as the alu strip in your beemer, would look better than that semi transparent part.

It does not touch but it covers. I attached a 0.3mm Lindab steel stripe to the back of the iPad case and with that the magnets hold the iPad securely on its place. You can read about this here (sorry, it's in hungarian): http://fns.csokolade.hu/2012/1...

More from Automotive

view more

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Printed from PLA, std. 20% infill.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

BartGrosemans on Apr 22, 2014 said:

So i finally made my version of the ho,der.

Luckally, my dash has a small flat surface locally, so i did not had to make a specific interface piece.

Just glued the magnets on the inside of the dash and done.

After removing the tablet, nothing is visible.

Still great inputs how you did this.

BartGrosemans on Apr 4, 2014 said:

Hi FNS720, thanks to google translate i could kind a follow the procedure,
as a matter of facts, yesterday evening, i was taking pics from the exact same angle in my car, trying to figure out how to get that rear curved shape, your clay suggestion is dead easy and i will go for that. The pink foam translation got messed up,and as i cannot figure out how you used that, i'll go for the clay trick.
Also checked hte magnets you use, on the strip you have, i think the weight they can hold was 17 kg.

The only thing i want to do different, is using a plastic clamshell around my Nexus 7, and add that .3 mm strip on the shell.. Reason is that when i take the Nexus out the car, i have a protective case on the tablet , plus i don't have to tape anything on the tablet directly.

My car does nto have that big a space in between the fan vents and the mid console, guess roughly only7 mm, iwant to keep it clean just as you did, i'll post some pics when i get there, i even downloaded your STL and used it to measure in SKetchup. By the way, you can actually buy thin aluminium labels,similar look as the alu strip in your beemer, would look better than that semi transparent part.

fns720 on Apr 1, 2014 said:

It does not touch but it covers. I attached a 0.3mm Lindab steel stripe to the back of the iPad case and with that the magnets hold the iPad securely on its place. You can read about this here (sorry, it's in hungarian): http://fns.csokolade.hu/2012/1...

BartGrosemans on Apr 1, 2014 said:

Does the Ipad touch anything else form the dash? On what position did you assembly the metal strip on the Ipad? (Location like approx 1 inch from the side?)
Great, going to build one for a Nexus 7 in a Volvo

fns720 on Feb 19, 2014 said:

No, my iPad mini works fine on it.

Capitali on Feb 19, 2014 said:

Any impact on the compass adding the magnets?

fns720 on Sep 14, 2013 said:
distantarray on Sep 13, 2013 said:

Where did you buy the magnet?

Top