Prusa Handles & Rod End Caps
by CodeCreations, published
Update: Added second end cap.
I've been carrying my Prusa Mendel by the outside ends of the top bars, and the threads tend to dig into my palms, so I made these snap-on handles. They have a nice curve to them to make them easier to hold, and they also cover the ends.
Also, I've seen too many little kid eyeballs get dangerously close to the ends of the threaded rods in demos, so I also made these screw-on end-caps.
I have a fully parametric scad file if anyone is interested -- just let me know.
1) Print. The rounded end cap has an internal diameter of 8mm and a material thickness of 2mm, which turned out to be a very snug fit, with a fairly weak wall. The octagonal one is 8.25mm ID with a 1.9mm wall. Let me know if you want to tweak your own settings and I'll clean up the code and post it, too.
TOOL CHAIN AND PRINT SETTINGS:
For this I used slic3r 0.9.5, Marlin, and j-head 0.5mm with cheap 3mm "repraper" PLA filament (from China). I print onto glass covered with window tint with a thin coat of ABS juice. The printbed is heated to 90 for the first layer (measures about 80 with the IR thermometer), and 75 for additional layers. I used two perimeters, 10% honeycomb infill, and 0.4mm layer height. Hot end temperature depends on color, but is usually around 185.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Prusa Handles & Rod End Caps by CodeCreations is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
We're sure CodeCreations would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).