Bar Clamp - Twist-On
by hairy_kiwi, published
One of my Prusa Mendle Y-Axis [Smooth] Bar Clamps cracked as a result of it being slightly over-tightened while building my printer. The printer's been performing just fine, but I recently I wanted to upgrade the Y-axis PLA bushings to LM8UUs and,
a) didn't want to risk the cracked bar clamp failing completely during upgrade, and
b) didn't want to start tearing the whole printer apart for the sake of ONE bar clamp.
So here's a bar clamp that:
- is easy to retro-fit without disassembling your Y-axis,
- has a 'developed' surface, (vs a simple hole) to clamp around the smooth rod, which together with the clamp arms being wider at their base, makes this clamp almost incapable of being overtightened,
- has an 'anti-twist' tooth and socket feature which positively locks together the clamping 'arms' during installation. This effectively prevents the outward displacement of the clamping arms that otherwise occurs when tightening an 'asymmetric style clamp' such as this.
Mating 8mm threaded and smooth rods. (Prusa Mendel, etc)
Compared to the standard Prusa Mendle Bar Clamp, the distance between centres of the smooth and threaded rod will be reduced after fitting the version 9-0-X of this thing. Two further versions exist which will be finalised and uploaded when I get around to it: 9-1-X and 9-2-X which provide approx 1 and 2 mm extra separation respectively, between threaded and smooth rods.
-X only denotes 'plain' (-0) or 'chamfered' (-1) corner on each of the clamp arms.
This is a work in progress only in that the 9-1-X and 9-2-X versions are not yet complete; 9-0-X is fully functional.
- Compared to the standard Prusa Mendle Bar Clamp, the distance between centres of the smooth and threaded rod will be reduced after fitting Bar Clamp - Twist On v9.0.X. Two further versions exist which will be finalised and uploaded as time permits, 9.1.X and 9.2.X which provide approx 1 and 2 mm (respectively) extra separation.
- Test printed/fitted in PLA only. ABS should also be good, if not better.
- A unit piece has been tested to failure and experience would suggest that it's more than capable of replacing an original Prusa Mendel Y-Axis bar clamp.
Derived from: Prusa's bar clamp.stl
- Designed for 0.3mm layer height.
- No extra support structure should be necessary.
- Print, trim off the built-in support leg, debur the clamping surface and edge of the hole which mates with the smooth rod and fit.
- Gently ease apart the clamp arms as the clamp is pressed (eased) onto the threaded rod.
- Try to prevent the clamp snapping onto the threaded rod as the 'anti-twist' tooth passes over the threaded rod. This should help prevent any shock-induced delamination.
- The part should then twist into final orientation quite effortlessly.
- Tighten the M8 nuts (with penny washers fitted) slowly and smoothly until the anti-twist tooth is completely and positively engaged in its opposing socket.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Bar Clamp - Twist-On by hairy_kiwi is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure hairy_kiwi would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).