How To: Thing File System
by EricYoung, published
This is not a printable design - it's a How-To that I thought appropriate for the users here
Is your room and/or workshop currently composed of over 70% PLA/ABS, strewn about all willy-nilly? Do you take pleasure in indulging your OCD-ish organizational tendencies?
If you answered yes to either then you may like this cheapo 'Things Filing System' and accompanying spreadsheet template that you can use to search by keyword in order to find what you want, when you want it.
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
- Hanging file storage container
- Hanging file folders
- Large and/or small size resealable bags (I like having both for different sized parts)
- Cut the tops off the hanging file folders - leave about 1 inch at the top.
- Staple one side of the top of a resealable bag (choose a large/small bag size based on what it's going to hold) to the top of the hanging file folder, as can be seen in the pictures.
- Put your thing in the bag.
- Give the file/bag a number and populate the corresponding spreadsheet item number with the contents of the bag. The spreadsheet template attached has info filled in for Item Number 1 (some Bobble Salt/Pepper Shakers) as an example.
- If the things you put in the bag are heavy you can staple two or more hanging file folder tops together so that they don't bend from the weight.
- If you want to conserve space in your file box you can roll up and staple the bottoms of the bags to different lengths so that the things in different bags don't all hang at the same length.
- Shave with the grain, not against it.
- Use good keywords!
- I use my filing system for all kinds of stuff other than plastic parts - for example I have files for adhesives, magnets, velcro, threaded inserts and other random stuff that I use once in a while and want to be able to find easily.
I know less than zero about spreadsheet file formats so I just saved off a few formats that I thought might be widely useable. If you want a different file format for the spreadsheet template feel free to ask and I will see if I'm able to export it.