Wersybot - a derivate of The Printrbot
by wersy, published
My intention was to be as close as possible to the original parts but with a lot improvements.
Here is one of my first prints: youtube.com/watch?v=lmT9ujijztQ
Recent Commentsview all
Looking at it from this perspective, you are correct; although I have modified and upgraded every part of the original Printrbot.
I just wanted to make shure that there can be no mistaking my Printrbot from the original Printrbot.
Personally, I see no reason to make a derivative of the printrbot with a different name. It is a printrbot with some changes, but I don't think it is enough to change the name.
Thank you for your reply. I am glad if anybody is asking for details.
No, I had no experience with 3D printing at all as I started to design. But I watched very intensive all assembly videos of abdrumm several times. Doing so I was sure what I would like to change.
Before this I studied mostly the MendelMax and Mendel90 - theoretically ;-) The only experience I have is with my own Printer now :-)
I prefer nophead's z-coupling because of the plastic hose between the motor shaft and the coupling. I think it gives a good grip makes the connection a bit elastically and allows angular movement if the rod is not straight.
The x-end-idler has no place for a second fixing screw. It would be only possible from the other side. But then the x-ends must be thicker but I want to keep the x-ends slim.
" the x-end motor add'l threaded hole" Which hole exactly you mean?
Much later I found this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thi...
It is only a question of time till one comes to similar thoughts.
As I planned I wasn't sure where to place the y-endstop at best.
So I made a separate endstop to mount the endstop holderÂ wherever I want.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
The main parts such as: bases, x-ends and x-carriage with extruder mount are in principle compatible with the original Printrbot. So it is possible to replace them. But with limitations:
The centre line of the x-idler pulley is 0.43 mm higher.
The centre line of the x-motor axis is 0.45 mm higher.
The x-carriage and the extruder mount can only be used together. Due to the different way of fastening the belt, the belt will be 4.5 mm lower.
Most of the parts have holes for tapping drill holes. If you cut the tapping drill holes you must be careful to keep them self-locking. Better use a set of three taps and use only the first one. The tapping drill holes should be as tight as possible.
The width is 100 mm. This increases the self-supporting and extend the bearing clearance of the y-bearings for more guidance bar.
The cut outs for the bearings are longer (25.6 mm) to make it possible to use also IGUS bearings.
There are two M3 tapping drill holes (y-direction) on each side. They are intended for several use:
To fasten the z smooth rod in case it became loose.
To mount a clamp, a socket outlet and plug or whatever.
In x direction are two M3 tapping drill holes.
You can use them to justify the stepper motors orthogonal if needed.
On the bottom are three M4 tapping drill holes.
One in the middle to push out the smooth rod in case it is very trapped and you want to remove it.
The other two can be use to mount the bases on a board.
The two cut outs are cable slots.
On the back side it has a nose for the z-endstop with a M3 tapping drill hole. On the top is a M3 screw nut deepening. This is only if you may have cut the threaded hole to wide. In this case you can bond a locknut into the nut deepening or try to bore up for a M4 screw.
In y- direction you can screw in a M4x12 mm screw to fasten the smooth x-rods.
Additional you can use two M3 tapping drill holes in x-direction to push out the smooth rod in case it is very trapped and you want to remove it, or to fix them if they are to short.
The same as the X-End-Motor but it has only one hole for M4 to fasten the upper smooth x-rod.
The x-carriage has a belt tensioner. You must cut a M3 tapping drill holes to use it. One more M3 tapping drill hole you have to cut for the x-stop adjustable screw.
The extruder mount is wider than the original to make it possible to mount my fan duct: thingiverse.com/thing:34884
It has a third bearing underneath the extruder motor to transfer load from the motor. I placed the motor as near as possible to the x-rods. The inner width between the NEMA 17 and the z-rods are only 2 mm. So don't use a bigger extruder motor ;-)
Furthermore the extruder mount has a cable slot. A good idea that came from the Hugo Printrbot.
The mount can be fasten with 2 screws. It is possible to remove the smooth rods by only declamp the screws on the clamp side. The other screws will keep the mounts in place. So you can disassemble the carriage or change the smooth rods without adjusting the mounts again.
Besides, two screws gives more stable connection.
one of the belt camps is invested with a belt tensioner.
They have three screws for better stable connection.
I made a separate Endstop to be free where to place it. For adjusting you have to cut a M3 tapping drill hole.
I use the original z-coupling from nophead: thingiverse.com/thing:17826
Thank you nophead.
I modified the ramps holder from Hugo Printrbot to fit them to my Arduino.
Clamps for 30 mm fan for cooling the electronic. I use only one for each fan.
You must be logged in to post a comment.