Chamfered Edge Soma UnPlated (now with a BOX)

by adamsbriand, published

Chamfered Edge Soma UnPlated (now with a BOX) by adamsbriand Dec 8, 2012
0 Share
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Order This Printed View All Apps


Use This Project

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag

Thing Statistics

3230Views 1680Downloads Found in Puzzles


This is AdanA's chamfered Edge Soma Cube, but broken apart by individual pieces.

When I attempted to print AdanA's Soma cube, my filament stopped flowing at the 1 1/2 cube height, wrecking three of the pieces.

Rather than print them all out again, I separated out the individual pieces.

If anyone else needs to print just one replacement, this will save a bit of PLA/ABS.

So that I would be less likely to lose the pieces, and having just recently attained the coveted rank of junior-newbie-beginner in openSCAD, I created a box to hold the pieces.

Please note that my picture shows my first attempt which turned out to be 2 mm too high. I've fixed this, but didn't bother to print the correction for myself.

More from Puzzles

view more

All Apps

3D Print your file with 3D Hubs, the world’s largest online marketplace for 3D printing services.

App Info Launch App

This App connects Thingiverse with Makeprintable, a cloud-based mesh repair service that analyzes, validates and repairs most common mesh errors that can occur when preparing a 3D design file for p...

App Info Launch App

Kiri:Moto is an integrated cloud-based slicer and tool-path generator for 3D Printing, CAM / CNC and Laser cutting. *** 3D printing mode provides model slicing and GCode output using built-in...

App Info Launch App
KiriMoto Thing App

With 3D Slash, you can edit 3d models like a stonecutter. A unique interface: as fun as a building game! The perfect tool for non-designers and children to create in 3D.

App Info Launch App

Thank you for this. I seem to have adhesion problems when I print many pieces at one time past a certain height.

Good call... I should have included the separate bits that to start with. 

Actually, the first time I tried to print it something went horribly wrong partway up: http://www.makersite.com/blog/2012/8/25/disaster-in-a-3d-printed-parthttp://www.makersite.com/blog/...  But none of them made it even above the first level.

Oh yeah! I had that problem too. In my first couple prints, the parts would detach from the platform and fall off. Looked just like your picture.

The "slurry" trick fixed it. I poured out a lake of acetone onto the heated build platform. Then I took one of my failed prints and smeared it around in the ABS, making an acetone/ABS "glue" on the platform. Wiped off a little of the excess acetone with a paper towel

Reapplied the acetone/ABS slurry between prints, and all seven prints of the full plate worked perfect after that.