Printable caterpillar track
by carlosgs, published
Testing a caterpillar track that is printable in one piece :)
UPDATE: Here is a video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nigrV9n9658
UPDATE 2: New version 1.2 of the tracks and wheels: more curve to avoid slipping
Scad code is messy, but i wanted to publish the promising results ASAP :)
- [DONE] An idler is required to reduce lateral force in the servo axis
- [DONE] The chain needs to be even more curve to prevent it from slipping out
- Still need to figure out a nice chassis
In order to print the tracks, I use Cura (https://github.com/daid/Cura) and a 0.5mm nozzle.
Settings in Cura:
Bottom/Top thickness = 0mm
Wall thickness = 0.5mm
Fill density = 0%
Solid infill top = OFF
Joris the outer edge = ON
These settings will print the track as a continuous, single-walled spiral, which makes them very flexible and resistant :)
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Printable caterpillar track by carlosgs is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure carlosgs would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).