Wallace Y Rack & Pinion Drive
by Komb, published
I borrowed parts from theodleif's Prusa R&P design. The Y motor mount from Domonoky's casted Wallace and the standard 6mm bed mounts for the Wallace.
You can see it working here: youtube.com/watch?v=LibplYh-9XI
Recent Commentsview all
First pic is the two prints I did for this test. The sides show the belt accuracy of the X carriage.
The second pic close-up shows the accuracy of the Y carriage.
My first attempt was scrapped as the X belt had gone slack and I had to re-tighten it.
Now there IS a small bit of layer smash. these lines go all the way around, but not in a spiral and not in sync with the threaded rods.
I'd say the results are comparable to a properly tensioned belt. I just don't have to worry about a Y belt anymore. :)
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
1.5 Buy 6mm threded rod 28cm, 280mm long. (For my bed anyway...)
2. Re-mount Y motor using Y motor mount. Use only 2 screws. The Rack travels over the other holes. Leave loose on rods.
3. Assemble Rack and bed mounts.
4. Impotrant: Be sure the Pinion and Rack are facing the same way.
Pinion colar should be at top of shaft. Use either press-on or screw mount pinion.
Pinion should be flush with top of motor rod.
5. Mount Rack to bed with holes for belt screws.
Test fit to ensure Rack and Pinion line-up verticly.
6. Slide belt ideler with plastic pullies removed, Just the berrings on the screws, to sit behind smooth side of Rack. They don't actually touch, unless someone makes rings for them, but are close enough the Rack has nowhere to go.
7. Assemble bed.
8. Snug Y motor up to Rack. Be sure Pinion and Rack are fully engaged. Do Not put pressure on Rack. Slide Ideler block till it meets Y motor. Tighten into place.
9. Manualy slide bed and watch R&P to verify working condition.
10. Motion Tests. Adjust Y steps in Firmware. (Mine is at 77.4790)
You will never have to adjust the belts under the bed. :)
You must be logged in to post a comment.