Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
Hollow Tippe Top
by bmcage, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
My quest for the largest printable Tippe Top continues. To save materials, I constructed the common hollow Tippe Top. A Tippe Top that uses much less plastic than the original Tippe Top (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37177 ).
Two halves to print, which click together. With stereolithography it should be possible to print this as one piece.
The hollow tippe top can be bought in many places, specifically at science musea. They are cheap ... and small. The original tippe top, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37177, is normally carved/cut from wood, while the hollow tippe top is pressed plastic.
Other tipping tops: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:45822
DISCLAIMER: I have not tested the LARGE version yet!
With a normal 3D printer you will need to print the bottom and top part with exterior support, 100% infill layers around 0.2mm. Remove the support after print, and click the two sides together. If the tippe top is not tipping, smooth the exterior as in the instuction of the normal tippe top.
- Bottom and top part on one plate to print in one go
- With stereolithography, you could have a go to print it as one piece. If the top is not too large, and you print with the stem down, printing with exterior support might work also...
- When you increase the size, the stem needs to be shortened to allow tipping of the larger top. You can do that by removing part of the stem. The files with LARGE already have a short stem, the BOTTOM part is the same
- I also provide a vertically cut version. I don't like this so much as glueing the two parts is normally obvious (see picture). You should be able to print this without support though
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Hollow Tippe Top by bmcage is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving bmcage a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure bmcage would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).