[OLD VERSION] Folk flute, soprano (+8), tapered bore
by pfh, published
Recent Commentsview all
Thanks for this fantastic design. I only got a printer last week and this was one of my first prints. I like the way it plays. I like the sound more than some of the wooden fifes that I have!
It does seem that the individual parts are slightly porous, but it needs a lot of pressure to force air through the pores, so it's probably just gaps in the joints. I'll try using plumber's putty to join them like I did with the shawm (which plays fine). Thanks!
If you're managing to get high notes you probably have the technique. You can test your technique by finding a length of plastic tube, drilling a hole near one end, covering that end, and seeing if you can produce a note with it.
My suspicion would be tiny leaks in the joints, or (less likely) tiny holes between layers in the print. Try teflon tape on the joints, or wax or such. Maybe spray the inside with something.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
The joints have 0.35mm clearance all around. The joints need to form a tight seal. Blue teflon plumbing tape appears to work quite well for this.
Even tiny holes can cause the flute not to produce sound, or to only produce high muffled sounds. If the flute isn't working, this is probably the reason.
It is also possible to make this instrument by milling wooden pieces and gluing them together. This is a little more involved than 3D printing, so email me if you are interested in doing this.
For more instruments, and the source code used to design them, go to:
You must be logged in to post a comment.