Prusa i3 Improved for laser cut
by twelvepro, published
Using CAD software we reworked Prusa i3 design:
- Laser cut frame was stiffen by adding two angle members connected to the rear side of Y axis assembly.
- Original, printed Z Axis mounting parts proven to be easy to break, which is why we replaced them with stronger laser cut parts.
- We did not like loose ends on Z Axis lead screw (similar to Printrbot design), therefore we added miniature flanged ball bearing on each side, to support lead screws on the top.
- All printed plastic parts were slightly changed, we felt that we should give them additional strength and better cosmetic appearance.
- Y axis assembly can be removed and installed back in a minute. Convenient for transportation or shipment.
- Dimensions and axis travels of original Prusa i3 preserved.
Test print here:
More Pictures here:
Recent Commentsview all
I used X:385 / Y:405 / Z:320 for the smooths and they are only a few mm in excess (6mm for Z, 5mm for X and doesn't matter for Y). There is no problem exceeding a few mm from the exact length so I rounded up the lengths.
For the threaded I used 3 x 210 / 1 x 280 / 2 x 440 for the Y base (8mm) and 2 x 310 for Z (5mm), but 305mm would do fine. You only need 8 threaded rods to assemble it.
I'm planning to use this model to build my Prusa i3.
I just need to be sure about the size of the rods:
Smooth Rods (8mm)
X-Axis: 2 x 381mm
Y-Axis: 2 x 406mm
Z-Axis: 2 x 318mm
5 x 406mm
3 x 216mm
1 x 305mm
2 x 445mm or 457mm (?)
5 mm for Z- Axis: 2 x 305mm
Can someone please help me?
I just need this measurements in millimeters.
Thanks so much!
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
Smoth Rods (8mm)
X-Axis: 2 x 15"
Y-Axis: 2 x 16"
Z-Axis: 2 x 12.5"
* If you purchase 36" (1M) smoth rods, you will need 3 of them
3 x 8.5"
1 x 12"
2 x 17.5" (18")
* it will take total 2 x 36" (1m)
5 mm for Z- Axis: 2 x 12"
We stil working on instructions and complete BOM.
Kit available for purchase.
Happy New Year to all!!!
You must be logged in to post a comment.