Prusa i3 Improved for laser cut
by twelvepro, published
We found latest Prusa i3 printer design, the one Josef Prusa showed at Makerfaire this year in New York, for its elegant simplicity, but hinge like connection between Y axis assembly and frame needed improvement, in our opinion.
Using CAD software we reworked Prusa i3 design:
- Laser cut frame was stiffen by adding two angle members connected to the rear side of Y axis assembly.
- Original, printed Z Axis mounting parts proven to be easy to break, which is why we replaced them with stronger laser cut parts.
- We did not like loose ends on Z Axis lead screw (similar to Printrbot design), therefore we added miniature flanged ball bearing on each side, to support lead screws on the top.
- All printed plastic parts were slightly changed, we felt that we should give them additional strength and better cosmetic appearance.
- Y axis assembly can be removed and installed back in a minute. Convenient for transportation or shipment.
- Dimensions and axis travels of original Prusa i3 preserved.
Test print here:
More Pictures here:
You will need (for now we using mixed SAE and metric parts):
Smoth Rods (8mm)
X-Axis: 2 x 15"
Y-Axis: 2 x 16"
Z-Axis: 2 x 12.5"
- If you purchase 36" (1M) smoth rods, you will need 3 of them
3 x 8.5"
1 x 12"
2 x 17.5" (18")
- it will take total 2 x 36" (1m)
5 mm for Z- Axis: 2 x 12"
We stil working on instructions and complete BOM.
Kit available for purchase.
Happy New Year to all!!!
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Prusa i3 Improved for laser cut by twelvepro is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving twelvepro a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure twelvepro would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.