Printable Prop Saver for Quad Copter
by JoeMattie, published
Sick of breaking props while flying my quad copter indoors due to inclement weather, I designed a prop saver.
Please note, while this does work in the sense that my quad does indeed fly with the prop savers attached, I have yet to actually do a crash test with it.
If someone prints one of these and crashes it before I get a chance / have the misfortune to do so myself, please let me know!
Please note, these were designed specifically for this motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12916
Should work with minor modifications on other motors - YMMV!
Parts required per motor:
- 1x - Printed Prop Saver
- 2x - M3 or SAE #6 machine screws, around 20mm - 25mm long (3/4" to 1")
- 2x - Corresponding nuts (M3 or SAE #6, although you will probably need to find smaller than average SAE nuts, as the standard ones are too big)
- 1x - O-Ring. The ones I used were around 18mm in diameter and 2.3mm thick. Get these at an auto parts store (a real one, not Shucks or Autozone) to avoid a prop to the face!
I printed four of these at once, as my printer doesn't have a fan. I used black 3mm ABS plastic from protoparadigm.
My settings for printing (I used Kisslicer, but I'm sure any decent slicing software would work):
- 0.28mm layer height.
- 0.4mm width (I have a 0.35mm nozzle)
- 2 perimiters
- 100% infill
Edit: UPDATE, I have now crashed twice since installing my prop savers and can confirm that they do in fact work as intended! Save for a single busted O-Ring, the quad and its props are unscathed.
Update #2: Just uploaded v2. I've made this one a bit beefier after having one of the originals break.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Printable Prop Saver for Quad Copter by JoeMattie is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving JoeMattie a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure JoeMattie would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).