Printable Prop Saver for Quad Copter
by JoeMattie, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Sick of breaking props while flying my quad copter indoors due to inclement weather, I designed a prop saver.
Please note, while this does work in the sense that my quad does indeed fly with the prop savers attached, I have yet to actually do a crash test with it.
If someone prints one of these and crashes it before I get a chance / have the misfortune to do so myself, please let me know!
Please note, these were designed specifically for this motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12916
Should work with minor modifications on other motors - YMMV!
Parts required per motor:
- 1x - Printed Prop Saver
- 2x - M3 or SAE #6 machine screws, around 20mm - 25mm long (3/4" to 1")
- 2x - Corresponding nuts (M3 or SAE #6, although you will probably need to find smaller than average SAE nuts, as the standard ones are too big)
- 1x - O-Ring. The ones I used were around 18mm in diameter and 2.3mm thick. Get these at an auto parts store (a real one, not Shucks or Autozone) to avoid a prop to the face!
I printed four of these at once, as my printer doesn't have a fan. I used black 3mm ABS plastic from protoparadigm.
My settings for printing (I used Kisslicer, but I'm sure any decent slicing software would work):
- 0.28mm layer height.
- 0.4mm width (I have a 0.35mm nozzle)
- 2 perimiters
- 100% infill
Edit: UPDATE, I have now crashed twice since installing my prop savers and can confirm that they do in fact work as intended! Save for a single busted O-Ring, the quad and its props are unscathed.
Update #2: Just uploaded v2. I've made this one a bit beefier after having one of the originals break.
Printable Prop Saver for Quad Copter by JoeMattie is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving JoeMattie a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure JoeMattie would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).