Vertical Turbine - Derived
by julienM, published
Includes a drop-in replacement, in which the wing profile is swept to make a smoother surface.
The other part is much larger and based on a NACA 2818 profile, which should apparently improve power. The arms are a much narrower oval shape to reduce drag.
Recent Commentsview all
I've finished putting it together and just dome some basic 'put some skate bearings on it and put it out in the wind' tests. It's quite a windy day in Melbourne today but it has not produced even enough torque to charge a mobile phone.
It's 1mt worth of centre shaft - most of it is filled by turbine.
I came from the Mornington Penninsula today - wish I had it with me there - the wind was 3x as fierce! If it was setup at the beachside of Rye or Rosebud it would probably produce enough to push a small brushless plane motor to charge a 1S LiPo and maybe power a 3w LED.
Sorry to say, but even with that size made (printed with low infill) in suburban Melbourne, it's gonna be a nice garden / house ornament - not unlike a wind chime.
Next time I'm at the beach I'll bring it with for more tests :)
I think it would be cool setting this up with a magnetic base on top of my car and leave it in the carpark of the beach :)
Charging what, I don't know.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure its the angle of the profile from the perpendicular. These profiles face slightly inwards. If I understodd it correctly, its as if an aeroplane wing was facing slightly downwards at the front edge.
The numbers mean something, the firsts digit being the camber.
I've completed 21 pieces now!
(6x each of the 3 twists + 3x for the bottom)
I have the 8mm steel shaft, so now I just have to drill out the centres, assemble, and print 2 pieces for the top.
The centre holes do need drilling out a bit - bit too tight a fit.
I'm just going to use skate bearings for now - have plenty :)
And then just gotta design up the post mounts.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
The pegs visible in the photo were meant to allow interlocking between layers. This would require two sets of parts, as there is a 30Â° "shift" after every 3 parts. The holes for the dowels should serve the purpose sufficiently.
I may design the top and bottom parts that would be required for a proper turbine, but I want to investigate the profile in OpenFoam first. That may take a while, or never happen. If someone needs these parts, just say so and I will just make them with the current design.
EDIT: Top and bottom parts added. The .zip includes 5 extra pieces that need to be printed to have the top and bottom blades in a plane. I would suggest making a round plate for the top and the bottom.
You must be logged in to post a comment.