Desk Lamp Hinge Fix
by wdebeaum, published
The hinge connecting the head of my desk lamp to the arm broke, leaving the head dangling. I made a new one. It's not perfect (it's a little bit loose around the head, and the peg the hinge is on is too short), but it works.
Lamps get hot. I won't be responsible if your lamp melts this holder and burns your house down. You have been warned.
- Travel back in time to 2002.
- Buy a Martha Stewart "Architect's Work Lamp".
- Use it until the hinge breaks.
- Print each part listed at the bottom of the OpenSCAD file (I used ABS).
- Glue holder_top to the top of holder_bottom (I used ABS/acetone slurry).
- Insert hinge_inside into the larger hole in hinge_outside from the bottom(without gluing).
- Insert the square peg on holder_bottom into the hole in hinge_inside from the top (optionally gluing it).
- Slide the holder over the head of the lamp, putting the power cable and the remnants of the old hinge through the gap opposite the new hinge.
- Turn the holder so the old hinge remnant is trapped between holder_bottom and holder_top (see photo).
- Remove the other side of the old hinge from the arm by removing the screw.
- Insert the small hole in hinge_outside in the resulting gap, and replace the screw.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Desk Lamp Hinge Fix by wdebeaum is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving wdebeaum a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure wdebeaum would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).