Loading

Sweeper shield and code for automated printing

by robosavvy, published

Sweeper shield and code for automated printing by robosavvy Jan 15, 2013

Description

Sometimes we just need to print a lot of small parts in series. So it would be great if we could print them consecutively. So this is what we came up with.
You print this sweeper shield that replaces the fan guard and acts as a broom to push parts forward.
Then you add gcode to use the broom to push parts forward and duplicate the code to print multiple parts in series.

Recent Comments

view all

Also for small items remove the additional sweeps to speed up the process as you can just add the code to bring the head back then the the plat form to 1mm and that would do fine. Add the additional only for taller items. Right now im working on a script to where you dont have to keep copying and paste. It will just keep running the gcode in a loop. Alot easier and less of a hassle.

I just tested this out to see if it would work on a stock replicator and the script works flawlessly although the x centering point needs to be adjusted slightly as it is off a tiny bit. But none the less works for both replicator version. Ill adjust the centering on the x axis to get it to light up for the replicator 1.

Nice yo. How about a shovel for big pieces! Awww yeaaaa!

More from 3D Printer Accessories

view more

Liked By

view all

Tags

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

The sweeper shield replaces the fan guard and is printed face down so that it has clearance from the fan.
The colored letter background is created by changing filament color after a few layers.

To push the part forward you need to find the line with :(******* End.gcode*******) in the gcode file and add the following code before that line (after the M127 line):
G21 (set units to mm)
G90 (set positioning to absolute)
G1 Z150 F1000 (lower build platform)
G1 X0 F1000 (move to center left to righ)
G1 Y75 F1000 (move to rear)
G1 Z50 F1000 (raise to 50mm)
G1 Y-75 F1000 (push part)
G1 Y75 F1000 (move to rear)
G1 Z20 F1000 (raise to 20mm)
G1 Y-75 F1000 (push part)
G1 Y75 F1000 (move to rear)
G1 Z1 F1000 (raise to 1mm)
G1 Y-75 F1000 (push part)

This will push any parts forward sweeping trough the platform at 50mm, 20mm and 1mm.

A small ramp can be added so that the parts fall out of the machine.

To print another or the same part just copy all of the code and paste it at the end of the file.

Of course this will only work with parts that are taller than wider that detach easily from the build surface.

Still this has saved us countless hours of machine time by allowing overnight batches of small parts to be printed.

Video of use: youtube.com/watch?v=Fpt5O9cnST4&feature=youtu.be

Regards

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

RobertDunn on May 30, 2013 said:

Also for small items remove the additional sweeps to speed up the process as you can just add the code to bring the head back then the the plat form to 1mm and that would do fine. Add the additional only for taller items. Right now im working on a script to where you dont have to keep copying and paste. It will just keep running the gcode in a loop. Alot easier and less of a hassle.

RobertDunn on May 29, 2013 said:

I just tested this out to see if it would work on a stock replicator and the script works flawlessly although the x centering point needs to be adjusted slightly as it is off a tiny bit. But none the less works for both replicator version. Ill adjust the centering on the x axis to get it to light up for the replicator 1.

wa007 on May 1, 2013 said:

Nice yo. How about a shovel for big pieces! Awww yeaaaa!

janny on Mar 1, 2013 said:

It's really a nice technique sweeper shield and code for automated printing and to print by pressing and button for automatic printing..

http://www.printinggood.co.uk/...

cassetti on Jan 15, 2013 said:

I'd be worried about pieces that don't come off easily! I've had a few pieces that I had to destroy to remove from the build platform. Heck, I've even shattered panes of glass trying to remove a print!

robosavvy on Jan 15, 2013 said:

Hi. Of course this is just for parts you are sure come off easily. I recommend doing a test print first.
Regards

whpthomas on Jan 15, 2013 said:

So I take it that you copy and paste the same gcode for the object several times to batch it ?

robosavvy on Jan 15, 2013 said:

That´s right. Just remember to include the code to eject the part.
Regards

Top