by timogiles, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
PIvena is an Novena inspired Raspberry Pi case. It houses a 7” HDMI LCD and your Raspberry PI model B or B+. When the case is open the LCD is held at a convenient viewing angle and the Raspberry PI is easily accessible. There is a grid of holes over the free space in the bottom of case which can be used for mounting your PIvena modifications. The back has a rectangle cutout to access the GPIO of the PI. The Model B version also has holes for the audio jack and RCA video jack. The right side has access holes for Ethernet and USB. The left side features a slide mechanism that holds the screen in the open position.
For detailed build instructions, see the Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/PIvena-Assembly-Instructions
Read the about the process of creating the PIvena and its inspiration: http://www.wildcircuits.com/2014/08/introducing-pivena.html
Added .stl files for all the wooden pieces
Added parts for the B+ version of the case. Changes:
- The bottom plate has new holes for the B+
- The right side has a new cutout shape for the USB / Ethernet
- The back has an enlarged GPIO cutout and no more holes for video and audio since those connectors are no longer present on that side of the PI B+
- Assembly requires 2 more 1/2" screws and 2 more 4-40 nuts
Added updated parts to support 1280x800 HSD070PWW1 LCD.
Added a .zip file of DXFs for the 1280x800 version.
To make the PIvena you will need access to a laser cutter and a 3D printer. The PIvena is designed to be cut from 1/8" baltic birch plywood. The corners and hinges print great on my UP! mini and I've been printing in ABS, but I don't see why PLA wouldn't also work.
Hardware wise you need:
(36) - 5/16" length 4-40 screws
(11) - 1/2" length 4-40 screws (11 for the B+ version, 9 for B)
(4) - 5/8" length 4-40 screws
(6) - 4-40 nuts (6 for the B+ version, 4 for B)
(3) - 1" length standoffs
(4) - 1/4" length unthreaded standoffs
(1) - mini usb cable (it gets cut and soldered to the 2.1mm barrel jack)
(1) - 2.1mm barrel jack
(1) - 2.1mm barrel connector for the LCD screen power connection
(1) - 5V 2A power supply with a 2.1mm barrel connector
(1) - HDMI cable. I used a 1ft flat cable from meritline (http://www.meritline.com/1-foot-high-speed-flat-hdmi-a-m-to-hdmi-a-m-cable---p-75691.aspx)
The "all_parts printed" file should be the easiest to print from. I placed everything very close together and it should print great with no support material. The individual STLs are also posted.
The "pivena_lasercutter.svg" is for laser cutting. The lines are color coded for my laser and might need to be changed for yours. Red lines need to be vector engraved, blue lines get cut first, black lines get cut second.
Check out my instructable (http://www.instructables.com/id/PIvena-Assembly-Instructions) for the detailed assembly instruction, my website (http://www.wildcircuits.com/2014/08/introducing-pivena.html) for an entertaining story about creating PIvena
PIvena by timogiles is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving timogiles a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure timogiles would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).