Printrbot Bed Stabilizer

by Crispy001, published

Printrbot Bed Stabilizer by Crispy001 Jan 19, 2013
3 Share
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Order This Printed View All Apps

Use This Project

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag


Thing Statistics

7057Views 842Downloads Found in 3D Printer Parts


These stabilizers replace the zip-ties originally used to position the LM8UU linear bearings on the Printrbot LC.

http://www.thingiverse.com/soke is developing a modified version for the PB+ V1.

The end result is a sturdier print bed and chassis for better printing. Inspiration taken from the official Printrbot stabilizer upgrade.

Volume: 2.12 cubic inches
ABS Weight: .08 pounds


  1. Print one left stabilizer and one right stabilizer. They're different parts, so don't mix them up! The left stabilizer has been confirmed to clear the Y endstop on the Printrbot LC.

Left Stabilizer requires:
2 #6-32 x 3/4" Screws
2 M3 x 16mm Screws
2 M3 Nuts

Right Stabilizer requires:
2 #6-32 x 3/4" Screws
2 M3 x 16mm Screws (screws into Y axis motor)

  1. Attach the stabilizer plates to your Printrbot. Insert some folded paper between the bearing and the bearing slot(s) to adjust desired tightness. Don't tighten the screws down all the way yet!

  2. Slide the smooth rods through both bearings and tighten the screws. At this point you can try wiggling the rod around to test everything out. Keep in mind the feet and base of the Printrbot will deflect if you push hard enough, but your print bed will be secure! Be sure to not overtighten the M3 screws that screw into the Y carriage motor either, as stripping those threads will cause you problems.

Both parts will require supports to print successfully.
Drilling out the screw holes to the proper diameter may/will be necessary. (9/64" and 1/8" for #6-32 and M3 respectively, if memory serves.)

I recommend using the bed stabilizer in conjunction with my z axis stabilizer for additional robustness! http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:55053

More from 3D Printer Parts

view more

All Apps

3D Print your file with 3D Hubs, the world’s largest online marketplace for 3D printing services.

App Info Launch App

This App connects Thingiverse with Makeprintable, a cloud-based mesh repair service that analyzes, validates and repairs most common mesh errors that can occur when preparing a 3D design file for p...

App Info Launch App

Kiri:Moto is an integrated cloud-based slicer and tool-path generator for 3D Printing, CAM / CNC and Laser cutting. *** 3D printing mode provides model slicing and GCode output using built-in...

App Info Launch App
KiriMoto Thing App

With 3D Slash, you can edit 3d models like a stonecutter. A unique interface: as fun as a building game! The perfect tool for non-designers and children to create in 3D.

App Info Launch App

Could you upload the solid works file again, or to thingiverse? The dropbox link is down. I wanted to try modifying this for the Printrbot Plus V1 as I can't find Soke's version.


I pulled that file into OnShape and lined it up with the DXF plans for the Printrbot Plus v1, then modified it to match. I haven't yet tried the result, so there are undoubtedly problems with it, but I published the remix (with that caveat included) and a link to the onshape document.

One thing that puzzles me a little, the square cutouts for the bearings in this part are not the same size. (see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/maqtyetokqc70zn/2016-04-11%20at%207.02%20PM.jpg )
I'm guessing this is by design, since you're using the part without issue.

Interesting. I designed the part several years ago and absolutely can't remember why the slot sizes are different, or if it's a mistake. Both are specifically dimensioned, one with 0.50in width, the other with 0.45in width. As long as the bearings are tightly held in place, it shouldn't matter. Paper may be needed to shim things tight.

Will this be compatible with the Simple 1405 with little to no modification? It looks like a great mod.

I'm betting it isn't, but the easiest way to find out is to try!

It was too big, but this is such a great mod nonetheless.

Were you ever able to find one for the simple? I would love to add this to my simple.

Would be great with a replacement for the frame that widens the linear bearing spacing slightly. Should stabilize the more.

I never did. My Simple ended up becoming a Maker's Tool Works MiniMax.

Ah, my simple has been slowly transforming. I think I may have more printed parts now than original parts. I'd really like to stabilize the bed more (as will as increase its size).

This didn´t work for my Plus V1. The M3 holes are too far in to make the pice fit properly. http://i.imgur.com/bGkgWf8.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/bGkgWf8.jpg
Perhaps you can provide the original files so we can make changes?
Thank you.

This comment has been deleted.

Thank you! I have solidworks 2013, so no problem.

Hey Soke, did you ever make this part for the Printrbot+ V1?

I don't believe he or she did. I've made a remix with modifications for the Printrbot+ V1:


It's as yet untested as I haven't had time to print it and then disassemble my printer to attempt an install, so it's possible that the remix has problems. But at the very least it should have screw holes that match up with the Printrbot+ V1.

Y stabilizer for Printrbot Plus v1

Don't forget to add it as a remix when you're done! :)

Beautiful design and rendering! Way to go! Thanks for the great work.

Wow! A comment from the man himself!

Unfortunately I can't take all the credit! The wooden renders used djmad's parametric models and of course the part itself is practically a clone of your work at PBHQ (sorry!). Keep up the good work over there!