Another planetary gear box
by BoilerPlateDan, published
A 3/11 or 11/3 gear box made as a toy. Can be used as a demonstration example or a weekend project.
This is a toy gear set built as an experiment/ prototype.
I made mine from 6mm MDF (I know, its a pattern with my designs). I actually deviated from the design shown by using 2x 6mm washers either side of the frame spacers rather than using 3x spacers.
You can follow the assembly to see what you'll need in terms of parts and quantity.
For those who are looking to build this, youâ€™ll need
1x Internal spur gear_MOD 3-5 42t 20deg
3x Gear_MOD 3-5_12t_20deg
1x Gear_MOD 3-5_18t_20deg
2x Drive Boss 18mm dia dowel (length to suit)
3x 12dia x 20v lg dowels
You'll also need:
4x M6x45 hex head bolts (or equiv.)
8x M6 washers (if you want to cheat like I did)
1x M6 Penny Washer (for a thrust washer- use anything that is to hand)
Build as follows:
Assemble the input shaft (18 tooth gear, Drive boss and Spacer_3_6mm). I added a thrust washer to the face of the gear in the form of a penny washer.
Connect the other drive boss to Planet_Spider_1. Add 3 no. 12dia x 20 lg dowels to the spider, add the three 12 tooth gears and cap off using the Planet_Spider_3. Make sure the gears spin.
- Build the frame up by stacking Frame_1 â€“ Spacer (x2, or 2x 6mm washers and 1x spacer) â€“ Internal Spur Gear â€“ Spacer (x2, or 2x 6mm washers and 1x spacer). Donâ€™t add the other frame yet.
Insert one shaft assembly into the frame. Add the other shaft into the assembly.
- Finally, add the other frame and fit the bolts. These shouldnâ€™t need nuts (mine didnâ€™t as the wood was a tight fit).
Iâ€™ve included the source files to allow you scale to suit. The module for the gears used is 3.5.
If I've missed anything, let me know.
That's it. Enjoy.
UPDATE - Photos of my build added
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Another planetary gear box by BoilerPlateDan is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure BoilerPlateDan would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).