Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
Hole Punch Gun
by Caboose, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
The pieces of plastic in the video in no way make up a firearm. This is a desktop toy, and is a single hole punch that can punch through 2 sheets of paper at a time. Think of this design as an elaborate hole punch.
This design was adapted from "Foam Dart Pistol" on Thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7512). Therefore, it shares the same trigger design, as well as similar sear design. I found the piece of filament as the spring to reset the sear a poor idea, so I changed the sear so a rubber band can be attached to assist in reset.
The current model weights in at 50.1 grams and costs roughly $0.75 to make.
This printed model pictured is the third version of the hole punch. It is composed of 5 pins, the bolt, the receiver, the trigger and sear.
This project is not yet completed. The bolt head is not long enough to punch paper, and the rubber band should not be wrapped around the gun, instead attached somewhere near the muzzle.
UPDATE: The 4th revision of the bolt fixes the shortness of the punch part. The trigger and sear have also been modified. The plan for the 4th revision of the receiver is a trigger guard. For this reason the trigger has been shortened. The sear has a small notch cut it in now for the rubber band which should cause less friction.
UPDATE 2: Bolt 5 prevents the first forward pin from being broken off. It also adds a second pin hole on top for larger rubber bands.
See assembly video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bk4KfecXE
- Print receiver / body at 100% infill.
- Print trigger and sear with 100% infill.
- Print bolt with 10% infill. Rip off support for bolt head.
- Print 3 sets of pins (6 total, you might want a spare) with 100% infill, and SLOWLY so they do not warp or bend. You may want to have two sets of pins, if so print the 12 pin set.
- Assemble as seen in video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bk4KfecXE
- OPTIONAL: Print a set of the bolt pins. You use one of these on top of the bolt. It just looks better than the thin pins on top.
Hole Punch Gun by Caboose is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Caboose a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Caboose would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).