by rp_one_labs, published
UPDATED Design Rev 1.1, Mach 30, 2013. Changes:
- 6.5mm diam x 1.5mm deep bore for mounting of Makerbot's MK7 & MK8 nozzles.
- Second 2.5mm diam. thermistor hole on opposite side.
- Tumbling for nice uniform surface finish.
Heater Cartridge, as a heating element of hot end, became affordable alternative to power resistor.
This design solves the problem of mounting heater cartridge on M6 threaded barrels,
works flawlessly with Makergear hot end, can replace Makerbot stepstruder Mk7 heater block and should work with other M6 threaded barrels/hot ends.
DIY kit - block + cartridge + thermistor + PTFE sleeves + conn
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
Consult with supplied PDF drawing for details.
I.) For CNC machining: This thing to be machined from 3/8" x 3/4" 6061-T6 extruded bar, then tapped M3 & M6 according to drawing. Machining strategy is up to you. Use STL file and drawing to create G-code.
II.) You can make it manually from 3/8" x 3/4" 6061-T6 extruded bar stock:
- Cut 18.5mm long piece of extruded bar preferably with band saw.
Manual hack saw gives less straight cut, you might need to file
rough side for better appearance.
- Mark hole centers according to drawing.
- Drill necessary holes using drill press (not manual drill), consult with drawing for drill bit diameters. Make small pilot holes prior to drill holes for M6 and heater, for better centering.
- Tap M6 hole preferably on the drill press, for straigtness.
- M3 set screw hole can be tapped manually.
Use kapton tape or, better, steel epoxy, to mount thermistor in 2.5mm diam. hole.