Loading

Spool Foot

by markab, published

Spool Foot by markab Feb 1, 2013
21 Share
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Order This Printed View All Apps

Contents

License

Use This Project

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag

Thing Statistics

22612Views 5953Downloads Found in 3D Printer Accessories

Summary

A foot to hold a filament spool, you will need 2 feet for 1 spool.

Instructions

The openscad files have variables that allow you to size the feet for your spool and bearing hardware.

The default files are configured for small spools using M8 hardware and 628 bearings.

For 1 spool... Print 2 feet, and 8 plastic washers, you will then need the following (but modify for your own hardware preference)....

4 x M8 cap head screws (length dependant on foot size)
8 x M8 washers
4 x M8 nuts
4 x 628 bearings

This will make 2 standalone feet, you could also use 8mm threaded rod and tie the feet together.

More from 3D Printer Accessories

view more

All Apps

3D Print your file with 3D Hubs, the world’s largest online marketplace for 3D printing services.

App Info Launch App

This App connects Thingiverse with Makeprintable, a cloud-based mesh repair service that analyzes, validates and repairs most common mesh errors that can occur when preparing a 3D design file for p...

App Info Launch App

Kiri:Moto is an integrated cloud-based slicer and tool-path generator for 3D Printing, CAM / CNC and Laser cutting. *** 3D printing mode provides model slicing and GCode output using built-in...

App Info Launch App
KiriMoto Thing App

With 3D Slash, you can edit 3d models like a stonecutter. A unique interface: as fun as a building game! The perfect tool for non-designers and children to create in 3D.

App Info Launch App
Sep 6, 2016 - Modified Sep 6, 2016

By the way, I reduced the BOM a bit, using a slightly different assembly:
No washers, instead I increased the rim around the ball bearings a bit. To fix the ball bearings in place, I printed 4 plugs, tightly fitting the holder axle bores. These plugs I pushed through bore on one side, the ball bearing, and the bore on the other side, using casing tongs, top end first, Reason: By also increasing bed temperature when printing those plugs, I made them to elephant foot very slightly. Idea was that this serves as an end stop of the plug on one side, but those plugs sit so tightly that this wasn't needed. Still, as the bottom plug ends (the print base layer end) still has a slightly increased diameters, that end is harder to push through the bores.
Therefore, besides ball bearings and holder base, only those 4 plugs were used, and no additional material needed. To avoid an overly thick rim (which needs to protrude over the outer ball bearings perimeter, I used smaller ones (688z, 8x16x5mm).

Happy it has inspired you to improve the design!!

Sep 5, 2016 - Modified Sep 6, 2016

For unknown reason did the original foot_base file not print well: OpenSCAD rendered it fine, and the resuĺting stl file was converted to gcode by slic3r, but only an incomplete thing was printed. While running the stl through admesh did correct a few things, the outcome was still incomplete. I then went through the scad file, factoring out a few things, simplifying some others, but not introducing any functional change, as far as I can judge - and to my surprise did the such changed scad print nicely now.
As I'm currently not into further exploration what went wrong and where it went wrong with your original version, I uploaded the modified .scad file under http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1755326 for purpose of accessing it, and, if so desired, incorporate some of the introduced changed. Thanks for publishing, and especially for also providing the source .scad file (which was the major reason why I went for your design, btw).
Reading through the other comments, I might have come across the same problem AlexCPU describes.

Remix: Filament Spool Holder

Thanks for the update, not had that issue reported, however it was one of my early designs.

slic3r v1.2.9 was what i used for slicing, running under Debian, with aarch64 architecture (an odroid c2). OpenSCAD, running on the same device, is version 2015.03-1.

another solution wooo

I like this, don't get me wrong. When the amount of filament on the spool gets low, the spool was picked up off of the foot and it ends up dangling off the back of the printer.

So unfortunately, I think I am back to looking for a new spool holder.

The fact that this is on the table and not the back of the Ultimaker makes the filament go into the feeder very straight and I can see what is going on.

This is a cool way to ease filament tension that I haven't seen before. Good Job!

Great design, thanks. Maybe include the plastic pins I used, no need for actual hardware.

Having a bit of an issue, Slic3r tells me there's a hole between (-44.4,11.5,0) and (-44.4,-11.5,0), and the join between the two bearing holders doesn't form, same problem with the RepRapPro Java based slicer as well. Unfortunately I've never played with SCAD, so have no idea how to fix it.

Plastic Washers print fine!

Process the spool base here: http://cloud.netfabb.com/http://cloud.netfabb.com/ it will fix your problem ;-)

Yes netfab should fix it, I will also fix in the source and republish later.

I usually use Cura to slice so have not tried it with Slic3r yet.

Working great for me! Thanks!

Great thanks for the comment, happy it is works for you!! would love to see a picture if you have one!

New versions uploaded

Top