BigFoot: The Openbeam Openrail Cartesian Printer
by oryhara, published
It works, and has replaced the prusa as my primary printer. Im not going to say any more here, because it deserves a full writeup and a full writeup would look terrible on this site. Also takerbot doesn't deserve to display it. Look for it on youmagine.
Update: Frame assembly completed. All printed parts and motors are mounted. Wiring remains to be done, as well as tuning. The design has evolved greatly from the pictures. Maybe i'll update it later. No one should ever try to build this however, as it was annoying.
Update: redesigned the brackets to be simpler and easier to assemble. Added mounting plate for the azteeg x3 controller I'm using. New image, step, assembly, and stls.
Bigfoot is the printer I want to make. Since no existing designs included the 3 facets I want in a printer, I am designing bigfoot as well. Those 3 characteristics are: Openbeam frame, Openrail linear motion, and at least 300x300 build platform. Bigfoot's Z axis is not limited by frame geometry. it is theoretically possible to stuck uncut 1meter openbeams on with full-length openrails and print almost 1 meter up. The height of the X axis would be subtracted from that meter, so a meter-tall object would not be able to be printed.
I'm using richrap's quick Fit X carriage, because I've had great success with it on my current printer, and even designed a QUBD dual extruder mount for it. That's the extruder I'm planning to use in this printer.
Recent Commentsview all
I've actually got this printer working reliably, to the point of 30+ hour prints. But I'll not be contributing the latest files to takerbot's patent sleezyness, so look for them on youmagine.
I'll never spend money on something that sounds so stupid as the budaschnozzle. My Qubd extruders work fine since i switched them to bowden extrusion and use both heatsinks on the one heatbreak that houses both hotends.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
Version 0.2 files uploaded in a zip archive. Not done yet by any stretch, but the openbeam lengths should be correct. I've cut my openbeams to the sizes specified. Will post more details in the BOM.
0.3 uploaded. Y axis drive is designed. Based on clearance tests in the assembly, it should allow full travel while only requiring an 848 long belt. I'm planning to use complete loops of belt rather than cut them. I've also changed the frame triangle back to 75-15-90 from 73-17-90 as in version 0.2.
There should still be room for an ATX power supply within the frame under the Y carriage.
Version 0.4 files uploaded in a zip archive, as well as a new STEP file with the completed printer. This is the version I'm going to assemble initially, to sort out any issues which modelling cannot show me. Alas this design is not easy to assemble, as every bracket i designed is connected to every OB extrusion with at 3 M3 screws and nuts, and putting them all in is quite tedius. However, I believe that the tedium will pay off in terms of frame strength and rigidity.
I've run out of M3 nuts, but more are on order, so assembly progress is slowed.
0.5 is still a bit tedious to assemble, but less so than the previous versions, and looks much nicer once assembled.
You must be logged in to post a comment.