CD-Rom Motor Pump
by Skimbal, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a derivative of Madox's Mini Centrifugal Pump, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4839
I simplified the design and adapted it to be printable on a makerbot without support material.
I also modified it so that the motor from an old CD-Rom drive can run the pump. These motors are all about the same size, and anyone who likes to take things apart more then likely has a few laying around.
In the photos I am powering a 6 volt motor with a 3.5 volt battery. I imagine more power would equal more water moved.
1) Print out all three parts, the Base, Impeller and Casing.
2) Drill out the center of the impeller so it fits on the motor's shaft
3) Use a knife to cut the support tower out of the center of the casing
4) Press the motor firmly into the top of the casing
5) Press the impeller down onto the motor shaft, but not all the way. Leave a little space between the top of the impeller and the base of the housing.
6) Power the motor and use sandpaper against the spinning impeller to smooth out any high spots
7) Press the base on
The real magic of this, is that if you have the motor, it takes less than a half hour to download, print, and assemble.
CD-Rom Motor Pump by Skimbal is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Skimbal a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Skimbal would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).