Loading

geodesic dome connector

by Marten, published

geodesic dome connector by Marten Nov 26, 2010

Featured Thing!

Description

connectors for 5 and 6 point connection to build a dome based on 8mm (M8) rods, see


In the openscad you can edit the some values for sizes and strength.

Use on your own risk.

Recent Comments

view all

Love it! I don't have a 3d printer yet, but this is exactly why I want one. Have you build a full dome with these designs? I'd be curious to know how much plastic the connectors actually use. Also, how's the strength?

R. Buckminster Fuller designed a bookshelf for a geodesic dome structure. It provided down force at a few points near the top of the dome (improved structure stability) it was held in place via 6 cables and the shelf itself was a hexagonal pillar. The way it hung in the structure also made it stationary, unless it was lifted. I don't know why, but I always found this design elegant and ingenious.

This may just be me being silly, but here is a link to his patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/...
&
amp;dq=4377114

Patent number: 4377114

sorry only ment to post once :-[

Liked By

view all
wulfCard1024x768

License

BSD License
geodesic dome connector by Marten is licensed under the BSD License license.

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

desertdomes.com/ for detailed info.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

kfattor on May 21, 2011 said:

Love it! I don't have a 3d printer yet, but this is exactly why I want one. Have you build a full dome with these designs? I'd be curious to know how much plastic the connectors actually use. Also, how's the strength?

awildeep on Feb 19, 2011 said:

R. Buckminster Fuller designed a bookshelf for a geodesic dome structure. It provided down force at a few points near the top of the dome (improved structure stability) it was held in place via 6 cables and the shelf itself was a hexagonal pillar. The way it hung in the structure also made it stationary, unless it was lifted. I don't know why, but I always found this design elegant and ingenious.

This may just be me being silly, but here is a link to his patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/...
&
amp;dq=4377114

Patent number: 4377114

Anonymous on Nov 28, 2010 said:

it is 58.28252559
º from the line to the center of the dome on a 1v

Anonymous on Nov 28, 2010 said:

it is 58.28252559
º from the line to the center of the dome on a 1v

c60 on Nov 28, 2010 said:

I like your modification. probably would print faster less plastic. How well would the overhangs print?

Marten on Nov 28, 2010 said:

I have been playing a bit with, I prints well to my needs. My dome is build with 8M rods and I want I a hammock in there, so I prefer it a bit stronger. For a V1 the angle is wrong, I am trying 30 degrees now.

Top