Cyclone PCB Factory v0.9.7 [added video summary]
by carlosgs, published
Video summary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKW3fwy1h0k
More info in http://reprap.org/wiki/Cyclone_PCB_Factory
Download (Git): Now all the files are hosted in GitHub: https://github.com/carlosgs/Cyclone-PCB-Factory
Cyclone (Circuit Cloner) is a design for a CNC mill intended for PCB manufacturing.
It is a work in progress, looking forward to your suggestions and improvements.
- Z axis concepts by Quim Borras and the spindle motor holder by Misan were really useful!! Also, Diego Viejo's machine was of great inspiration for the Z axis (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113930344830086538817/albums/5868944432651911713?authkey=CLDJgdehlN773gE) Thank you all!!
- This design woudn't have been possible without the encouragement of the Panda CNC community (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102402711800402614517)
- Also, thanks to Obijuan (http://iearobotics.com) for naming the machine Cyclone :)
Work in progress, please refer to the pictures.
- First Z probing results are promising, read: https://plus.google.com/u/0/113437723819360223498/posts/9VCHqqnirj6 and https://plus.google.com/u/0/113437723819360223498/posts/89W2cv1fgQW
- Added the python probing script (v0.1) and Octave/Matlab visualizer
- v0.9.5 Probing a PCB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zXL8k5T9E
- v0.9.5 Milling MDF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QpxjheEjEc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjav0hBtmYA
- v0.8 Drawing test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-HSdE89JOM
- v0.7.5 XY axis test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9umlq4oHG64
- v0.7.5 High speed XY test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3uYCXryj60
Bill of materials:
- Using a thick wood piece as the main base.
- As shown in one of the pictures, a cheap dremel-like drill has nice bearings and is a good option as the main tool. Finally it will be using a proper spindle (check the BOM for the reference).
- Desired working range of >=100mm for the X axis and >=160mm for the Y axis.
- Parts are designed to be printable with the small volume of a Printrbot Jr
- Bed leveling will be done with probing and an appropriate software.
- [99% DONE] Design parts for the X axis (this includes Z axis too, will be using a proper spindle instead of a hand-drill)
- [DONE] Design parts for the Y axis
- [DONE] Create template for the screws in the wood base
- Software, testing, milling a PCB (till then, it can't be v1.0 :P)...
Here is a compilation of links that I find interesting for the software controller:
- Examples of the PCB probing method
- Very interesting toguether with cam.py: http://code.google.com/p/pygerber2gcode/
- For arranging panels: http://ruggedcircuits.com/gerbmerge/
You are more than welcome to suggest/modify/redistribute :-)
Credit for the ideas used
The origin of Cyclone took place while I was inside the Panda CNC community (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102402711800402614517). This is from December 2012 to mid-February 2013.
Here is the credit for the ideas that were used:
- LetÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢âÂ¢s design a 3D-printable CNC for PCB milling, it will be named Panda: Guillermo Welch (mid-December, via Google Talk)
- X carriage rod distribution: CÃÆÃÂ©sar Augusto FernÃÆÃÂ¡ndez Cano claims Cyclone's X axis is a derivate of his concept: https://plus.google.com/u/0/111421387442355054591/posts/QrfYtEuZBaj
- 100x160mm workspace: David Martin https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122275/PandaCNC_credit/workplace_size.png
- Using gears to drive the X-Y axes: Guillermo Welch https://plus.google.com/u/0/101232926728463427403/posts/QjZGNcWcgGg
- Regarding the woodbase: Guillermo Welch always contemplated the possibility of attaching the machine (optionally) to a woodbase. I decided to use the base as a main structural part instead. See https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122275/PandaCNC_credit/woodbase.png (screenshot from https://plus.google.com/u/0/113437723819360223498/posts/8LDCSSVWqCS)
- List of CNC endmill types: David Martin https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122275/PandaCNC_credit/cnc_endmill_types.png
Please note I have taken screenshots of the post that are on the closed G+ Panda community (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116318709564872967169). You can register and see by yourself.
All other development present on Cyclone has nothing to do with Panda and is not related to the Panda project.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Cyclone PCB Factory v0.9.7 [added video summary] by carlosgs is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure carlosgs would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).