Cyclone PCB Factory v0.9.7 [added video summary]
by carlosgs, published
Video summary: youtube.com/watch?v=fKW3fwy1h0k
More info in reprap.org/wiki/Cyclone_PCB_Factory
Download (Git): **Now all the files are hosted in GitHub:** github.com/carlosgs/Cyclone-PCB-Factory
Cyclone (Circuit Cloner) is a design for a CNC mill intended for PCB manufacturing.
It is a work in progress, looking forward to your suggestions and improvements.
- Z axis concepts by **Quim Borras** and the spindle motor holder by **Misan** were really useful!! Also, **Diego Viejo**'s machine was of great inspiration for the Z axis (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113930344830086538817/albums/5868944432651911713?authkey=CLDJgdehlN773gE) **Thank you all!!**
- This design woudn't have been possible without the encouragement of the **Panda CNC community** (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102402711800402614517)
- Also, thanks to **Obijuan** (http://iearobotics.com) for naming the machine Cyclone :)
Recent Commentsview all
Not sure if you need it, but I found this (https://groups.google.com/foru....
Dunno if you still need them, but there [here](https://github.com/carlosgs/Cy.... I'm on a computer that can open them, but it looks like their all there in .SCAD format.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
* First Z probing results are promising, read: plus.google.com/u/0/113437723819360223498/posts/9VCHqqnirj6 and plus.google.com/u/0/113437723819360223498/posts/89W2cv1fgQW
* Added the python probing script (v0.1) and Octave/Matlab visualizer
- v0.9.5 Probing a PCB youtube.com/watch?v=m5zXL8k5T9E
- v0.9.5 Milling MDF youtube.com/watch?v=2QpxjheEjEc and youtube.com/watch?v=zjav0hBtmYA
- v0.8 Drawing test: youtube.com/watch?v=Y-HSdE89JOM
- v0.7.5 XY axis test: youtube.com/watch?v=9umlq4oHG64
- v0.7.5 High speed XY test: youtube.com/watch?v=H3uYCXryj60
Bill of materials:
- Using a thick wood piece as the main base.
- As shown in one of the pictures, a cheap dremel-like drill has nice bearings and is a good option as the main tool. **Finally it will be using a proper spindle** (check the BOM for the reference).
- Desired working range of >=100mm for the X axis and >=160mm for the Y axis.
- Parts are designed to be printable with the small volume of a Printrbot Jr
- Bed leveling will be done with probing and an appropriate software.
- [99% DONE] Design parts for the X axis (this includes Z axis too, **will be using a proper spindle instead of a hand-drill**)
- [DONE] Design parts for the Y axis
- [DONE] Create template for the screws in the wood base
- Software, testing, milling a PCB (till then, it can't be v1.0 :P)...
Here is a compilation of links that I find interesting for the software controller:
- **Examples of the PCB probing method**
- onshouldersTv: Open Source Circuit Boards at Home youtube.com/watch?v=L-5SRtwx3kY
- PCB routing using the Probe method youtube.com/watch?v=fwgT9sCL8fs
- Very interesting toguether with cam.py: code.google.com/p/pygerber2gcode/
- For arranging panels: ruggedcircuits.com/gerbmerge/
You are more than welcome to suggest/modify/redistribute :-)
Credit for the ideas used
The origin of Cyclone took place while I was inside the __Panda CNC__ community (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102402711800402614517). This is from December 2012 to mid-February 2013.
Here is the credit for the ideas that were used:
* __LetÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢âÂ¢s design a 3D-printable CNC for PCB milling, it will be named Panda:__ Guillermo Welch (mid-December, via Google Talk)
* __X carriage rod distribution:__ CÃÆÃÂ©sar Augusto FernÃÆÃÂ¡ndez Cano claims Cyclone's X axis is a derivate of his concept: plus.google.com/u/0/111421387442355054591/posts/QrfYtEuZBaj
* __100x160mm workspace:__ David Martin dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122275/PandaCNC_credit/workplace_size.png
* __Using gears to drive the X-Y axes:__ Guillermo Welch plus.google.com/u/0/101232926728463427403/posts/QjZGNcWcgGg
* __Regarding the woodbase:__ Guillermo Welch always contemplated the possibility of attaching the machine (optionally) to a woodbase. I decided to use the base as a main structural part instead. See dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122275/PandaCNC_credit/woodbase.png (screenshot from plus.google.com/u/0/113437723819360223498/posts/8LDCSSVWqCS)
* __List of CNC endmill types:__ David Martin dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122275/PandaCNC_credit/cnc_endmill_types.png
Please note I have taken screenshots of the post that are on the closed G+ Panda community (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116318709564872967169). You can register and see by yourself.
**All other development present on Cyclone has nothing to do with Panda and is not related to the Panda project.**
You must be logged in to post a comment.