Rigid Polyester Tape for Replicator Heated Bed
by phineasjw, published
- It is much more resistant to tearing when removing parts after build, and when getting off the roll
- 6" width can cover heated bed in 1 strip
- Similar price when you compare square inches per roll
- Good adhesion when combined with the miracle adhesion improver (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28787)
- Easier to remove than stock Kapton
I am printing small to medium sized parts in ABS with a bed temp of 50C and acceptable adhesion. This greatly reduces melt deformation of the features directly on the bed layer.
For small parts with little bed contact on the first layer, I add a 0.25mm thick base in CAD to increase the contact surface area of the first layer for better bonding. This print base is fairly easily peeled off the part after printing.
Recent Commentsview all
This stuff really works great. Much better than kapton so far. Only down side is they don't have rolls wide enough for my Replicator 2X. It's off by about 1/2".
Ordered a roll and tried it out. It's much easier to apply directly from the roll and is much more durable on my R2X heated build plate. I have yet to wear out my first application after two weeks of daily printing. Clean with acetone and rub some left over raft on the surface to give it a wee bit of bite. Once your print cools it usually just pops off without persuasion. A real winner! Thanks for the recommendation!
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
- Remove old tape
- Clean bed with acetone and lint free cloth
- Use this installation jig (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27518) to install new tape
- Clean tape with acetone and lint free cloth
- Apply a thin coat of the miracle adhesion improver or equivalent (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28787)
- Print your stuff
- Carefully remove with Cricut Spatula - (http://www.amazon.com/Cricut-29-0099-Spatula-Tool/dp/B000NP1ESO) This thing is awesome! NOTE: Debur the edge of the spatula with 600 grit or finer sandpaper to protect against tearing tape or scratching build plate.
- Enjoy more printing and less retaping.
UPDATE 02/23/2013: I have been using this for almost a week and I love it. I have already had parts stuck on such that the old kapton tape would have been damaged to the point of needing replacement. I bet I get at least three times the life out of this red polyester tape compared to what I was seeing with kapton. The combination of Aquanet and this tape seems to be a winning combo for the small to medium sized parts I tend to do.
You must be logged in to post a comment.