Rigid Polyester Tape for Replicator Heated Bed
by phineasjw, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
I have started experimenting with using this Polyester tape Updated LInk 08/25/2014: http://www.laserbits.com/laser-supplies/masking-materials/sus-063-polyester-rigid-mask-medium-tack-6-in-25-yds.html for my Replicator 1 heated bed based on threads I saw on printer forums. I prefer it over the Kapton because
- It is much more resistant to tearing when removing parts after build, and when getting off the roll
- 6" width can cover heated bed in 1 strip
- Similar price when you compare square inches per roll
- Good adhesion when combined with the miracle adhesion improver (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28787)
- Easier to remove than stock Kapton
I am printing small to medium sized parts in ABS with a bed temp of 50C and acceptable adhesion. This greatly reduces melt deformation of the features directly on the bed layer.
For small parts with little bed contact on the first layer, I add a 0.25mm thick base in CAD to increase the contact surface area of the first layer for better bonding. This print base is fairly easily peeled off the part after printing.
- Order the tape @ Updated LInk 08/25/2014: http://www.laserbits.com/laser-supplies/masking-materials/sus-063-polyester-rigid-mask-medium-tack-6-in-25-yds.html
- Remove old tape
- Clean bed with acetone and lint free cloth
- Use this installation jig (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27518) to install new tape
- Clean tape with acetone and lint free cloth
- Apply a thin coat of the miracle adhesion improver or equivalent (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28787)
- Print your stuff
- Carefully remove with Cricut Spatula - (http://www.amazon.com/Cricut-29-0099-Spatula-Tool/dp/B000NP1ESO) This thing is awesome! NOTE: Debur the edge of the spatula with 600 grit or finer sandpaper to protect against tearing tape or scratching build plate.
- Enjoy more printing and less retaping.
UPDATE 02/23/2013: I have been using this for almost a week and I love it. I have already had parts stuck on such that the old kapton tape would have been damaged to the point of needing replacement. I bet I get at least three times the life out of this red polyester tape compared to what I was seeing with kapton. The combination of Aquanet and this tape seems to be a winning combo for the small to medium sized parts I tend to do.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Rigid Polyester Tape for Replicator Heated Bed by phineasjw is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving phineasjw a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure phineasjw would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).