Printrbot XL Mod
by Datenkrieger, published
Plus some changed details.
New build platform is now over 30 x 30 cm, and still printing nice. I have not testet all the limits yet, must add some feet to the base or it will tip over with big prints.
Experiences so far: It's louder than before, can't leave it printing during the night or my neighbours will kill me... it's building up more vibrations, also sortof a y-wobble. Most of this is probably because of lm8uu bearings with missing balls but the whole construction needs to be stiffened. If I had more space I would build a massive wooden frame around it.
Replaced the Base with Japica 608 Base, runs much smoother now
Recent Commentsview all
I see my description is a bit chaotic as i added the upgrades one by one.
Basically I just replaced the rods wth longer ones, moved the y-Belt to the middle and used the Japica base pieces. Rest is optional.
So you print the Japica bases and the y motor mount for the middle (PB alternate y axis) as long as your PB is in it's original functional state, then get longer rods and a bigger build platform and start taking it apart and back together. You will have to deal with some small details like y endstop switch not fitting to the japica bases, must lengthen all cables etc. And there are the software endstops in the firmware to be removed.
But you have been warned, bigger build platform means more mass to move and it's getting wobblier with the longer rods. Also if you print towards the ends of the y axis there is some lever force on the y bearings which makes it tip a bit in y direction. the japica bases help but I think a prusa style y axis would be a cleverer solution.
I still have no heat bed installed, I just print PLA on glass and hairspray. But it's good to see there is a oversize heatbed on Ebay, I think about ordering one, I still have a big roll of ABS that i can't use otherways.
Maybe ask the manufacturer about how much current these take, if the printrboard can handle it, it might take long to heat up.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
The Y belt is now in the middle of the build platform like thingiverse.com/thing:28423
For less Z-wobble I used the base pieces with Z motor support from thingiverse.com/thing:28557. Not used a Z - top joiner thing yet but it works fine without.
After adding some feet it will be more stable, but smaller prints turned out good. Only headache causing are the lm8uu bearings, I lost some BBs when changing the smooth rods. I will definitely try out the Japica 608 bearing thing at some point.
Warning, Printrboard firmware has software endstops in it, I can't use the whole build surface until i manage to flash a firmware that has it fixed.
fixed the firmware, was a bit tricky because of dfu bootloader (REV.B Board), but could compile it with the printrboard - arduino environment that can be downloaded at printrbot.com support. Then uploaded it with Atmel FLIP.
It wouldn't work at first because i used the wrong sources. Be sure to use the official printrboard sources from github.com/PxT/Marlin/tree/master/Marlin
Added the Z-Rod double stabiliser thingiverse.com/thing:36022
You must be logged in to post a comment.