Pull String Helicopter
by 271828, published
A pull string helicopter that flies well and is easy to assemble.
ABS is the recommended material for best part survival.
As requested SolidWorks 2011 source files are posted. Blade profiles are not optimized. Try to design better shapes that can be easily printed without support and upload your progress!
- Look at the provided pictures to familiarize yourself with the helicopter. It was designed to fly best with the tapered side of the blades down and also the tapered portion of the spool centers the propeller when launching in this orientation.
- Print all parts and the propeller with the number of desired blades (at this time I have only tried the 5 blade). I printed in ABS using 3 perimeters, 0.2 mm layer height, 25% fill and a 1 cm brim to help hold the tall parts on the print bed. The narrow part of the spool was printed solid. No support was needed if printed in the given orientation. You know your setup best so adjust accordingly.
- Cut 3.5 ft of string and tie a 2 in loop on each end. A thin strong material is ideal, I used 150 lb test spectra fishing line.
- Find a rubber band in the 3 in x 0.25 in range, loop it through the bottom of the spool, back through the rubber band and pull snug.
- Slide the rubber band and spool into the handle and attach one end of the string to the hole in the center of the spool using the same looping procedure. Attach the other end of the string to the pull.
- Slide the propeller onto the spool, tapered side toward the spool, and wind the string onto the spool. Pull the rubber band through the end of the handle and loop it around the center of the plate. Twist the plate and rubber band a few times so the string retracts and then slide the plate into the handle. At this point the rubber band should not pull too heavily on the spool.
- Oil the spool so it spins easily in the handle. If not oiled the plastic can friction weld together.
- Give the helicopter a pull and try not to break too many things.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Pull String Helicopter by 271828 is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
We're sure 271828 would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).