by buzz, published
( made using OpenVSP and OpenSCAD ) .
Recent Commentsview all
Today I updated the parts.scad file with the latest one. If you downloaded it earlier ( all 6 of you , please re-download ) . this file now renders in openSCAD without throwing any errors. ( outer wing section/s were failing due to my use of a function called "tapered_cube" that was flawed ( non-manifold? ) . I replaed it with alternate scad code.
I have also provided a *photo* of the actual parts as-printed ( printed over the past month or so ) . the wings are in blue and the fuselage is in orange.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
I exported the wings,fuse,horiz tail, and vert tail as 4 bits ( from .vsp -> .stl ) , the stls for these are provided here too ( as the parts.scad file needs them) . To make the fuselage mostly hollow, but have significant wall thickness, I also made a second .vsp file that represents just the "inside" of the fuselage, and use openscad to subtract that from the original. - "fuse_only_hollow.scad"
These STL file/s are all the raw components that I then imported into openscad, and apply a bunch of function/s on to create the final designed plane parts - see parts.scad for all the openscad goodness that is the "main design file". - this includes hole/s for carbon fibre spars in both wings and fuse, and structural bracing in wings, and separating the ailerons, etc.
Once this is done, the parts.scad file has a p=x; parameter which represents the "part number". Set it to a number betwen 1 and 30, and then re-render openscad, and it will render just a single individual part, which can then be exported as a .stl file. I have individual files 1.stl, 2,stl... etc, but they aren't really needed, you can make them yourself like I did.
Finally, to assist in making the parts all 3D printer friendly, I import all the 1.stl -> 32.stl into netfabb basic( as separate parts ) , and rotate them all to position them so they are in a reprap printable orientation ( ie a flat face down ) , and then export them again ( I called them 1r.stl ... 32r.stl ).... and these files can then move on to Slic3r as usual! To save you a little work, I have included the netfabb project file here too ( the .fabbproject file ) , and a screen capture of all the parts laid-out ready for printing.
Main wIng parts are designed to be printed hollow ( ie turn of infill in slic3r ) .
Fuselage and tail parts are designed to be printed at approx 10% infill .
AIlerons and moving tail surfaces are not printable - I can't be bothered, I will just use a bit of balsa for this.
The wings have outer-half has taper and washout and rounded ends.
the dihedral is a reasonable 4 degrees,
the airfoil profile is a NACA4412, which with it's nearly flat bottom, and good lift characteristics is easy to work with.
I'm deliberately trying to keep the overall design simple, so it's 3D printable ( in sections of course. )
Yes, most of hthis has now been 3D printed, and no it's not yet been flown.... gimme a chance! :-)
You must be logged in to post a comment.