Customizable, Balloon Powered LOLCOPTER - Mk1
by Mattcad, published
Behold, the mighty balloon powered LOLCOPTER Mk1!
NOW FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE!!
AND IMPROVED - See Instructions :)
Which means endless possibilities!
It's got turbines, it's got propellers, everything is customizable, play with the settings and see how high can you make it fly.
Make it how you want it to be, blow up a balloon, put it on and let it soar :)
I'd love to see how many different designs come out of this and which ones fly best.
This is my very first OpenSCAD model, I haven't done any coding before this, and boy, what a learning curve, but I'm proud to say that I've written every line of code in this script!
It's amazing what variables and a single line of code can do!
I wanted to make something fun to learn how to use openSCAD and the Makerbot Customizer app.
Inspiration and coding lessons came from many sources, but credit for inspiration also goes to these two makers;
OpenSCAD is a lot of fun; I think I'm addicted!
I can't wait to get into my next project!
I encourage and welcome all feedback on any aspect of this design, especially on how easy or hard the parts are to print.
I'm happy to make changes to make it better.
EDIT: Big propellers are working
EDIT EDIT: Baloon stem made betterer :)
EDIT EDIT EDIT: now with Thingiviews
EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: improvements- see instructions
Recent Commentsview all
I just finished making one of these, and unfortunately, I don't think it can work. The air from the balloon leaks out the cracks, but even if it was sealed, it would take a lot more force to spin the rotors than a balloon can provide. I really like the design though!
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
I've designed this to be fully assembled needing no extra parts other than what is provided in the list for printing, other than a good balloon of course :)
- You can change just about everything on this LOLCOPTER - I've designed it so you can customize it to optimize the design to give the best performance and to suit your printing envelope.
CHANGE THE DIMENSIONS WITH CUSTOMIZER RATHER THAN SCALING THE STLs TO SUIT YOUR PRINTER, THAT'S WHAT CUSTOMIZER IS FOR :)
EDIT EDIT: turbine airflow has been largely improved
EDIT: I've made the STLs export the correct way up for printing and they should be in the center of your envelope.
I've also tightened up some clearances to make the airflow better.
The text is now in relief instead of being embossed.
ALSO- See images for the right way to install the turbines and propellers.
- Select your desired font and write some text on the front and or top, or leave blank if you prefer none.
- Distance between the props
- The number of blades on the propellers
- The size of the turbines
- The height of the propellers
- The thickness of the propeller shafts
- Even the balloon stem size
- no matter what sizes you customize on this LOLCOPTER, I have ensured that the wall
thickness always remains a constant 2mm thick.
- When assembling the turbines, make sure you put them in the right way up and the right way around; the blades should be curving towards the middle of the copter, the big hole should be on the bottom.
- The propellers should be assembed so that the blades curve up and away from the center of the copter.
(Looking down on top of the copter with the words facing you, the propeller on the right should be spinning anti-clockwise, and the one on the left should be spinning the opposite, to give lift.
Customize away, assemble and put on an inflated balloon, the bigger the better, and watch LOLCOPTER take to the sky, flying with all the glory of the internet.
Clicking on the 'Create STL' button in the Customizer App creates an STL for all the nominated parts in the script, the drop down menu is only for a visual on-screen preview of each part.
You must be logged in to post a comment.