3D Printed Jart (aka Lawn Dart)
by makermichael, published
Recent Commentsview all
good night as I can purchase this item please contact me for email [email protected]
Are these compatible with original jarts in the sense of can I print these out and replace broken lawn darts that I have? The plastic has broken on a couple but everything else is perfect!
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
This file was modeled from an original Jart. I tried to get the flight charistics as close as possible to the real thing.
Tools required -
Grinder / Dremel
Powerdrill (optional but makes life easier)
Bill of materials (for 1 dart)
10-24 x 36" threaded rod
3D Printed body / handle
2 - #10 Flat washers
20 - 3/16" x 1 1/4" Fender washers
2 - 10-24 Coarse thread nylon lock nuts
1 - 10-24 Coarse thread cap nut
1. Print STL - I used an Ultimaker with .01mm layer height and 25% fill. I found it best to use a raft for stability. Use an Exacto knife to clean up the part once printed.
2. Measure threaded rod into 12" sections.
3. Thread on nylon lock nuts on either side of the cut line. Cutting might mess up the threads and backing the nuts off will make the threads usable. Chuck the rod into your power drill and hold it with the wrench to make things go faster.
4. Cut rod. Held it in a vise using a paper towel to protect the threads.
5. Take off any rough edges from the cut side with a grinder or Dremel.
6. Thread the first nylon lock nut about 2" up, with the flat side facing the tip of the rod.
7. Slide on the body, #10 washer, handle, another #10 washer, then thread on the capnut. Snug up the capnut with a wrench. Loctite might be a good idea too, safety frst!!
8. Snug up the nylon locknut to take out the play. The fins should stil be allowed to spin freely.
9. Add weights - I found that 20 fender washers was just about right. Feel free to experiment.
10. Add the other nylon lock nut and tighten it down so there is no play in the washers.
11. There should be about 1.5" of ground penetrating tip exposed. You probably shouldn't sharpen it..
12. Go ouside, away from any people, pets, and anything else you care about including your personal safety, and give it a toss. With any luck it lands sticking into the ground and not into your head or body. No go make 4 more so you have a complete set!
You must be logged in to post a comment.