Replicator 2 No Squeek Super Cool Spool Holder Upgrade
by ajf, published
This is a replacement spool holder for the MakerBot Replicator 2 (or 2X). This spool holder pays out filament super smoothly and solves the plastic on plastic squeek/screech the original spool holder exhibits (as the MakerBot tugs on the filament during print jobs).
This spool holder can be easily adapted to use MatterHacker spools, etc.
1) Print two of the spool holders on its side (see image) using default medium resolution settings but with 50% infill. (Optional: carefully trim the support once printed).
2) While that is printing, go to Ace Hardware and get:
Parts List (Ace Hardware)
- (2) 5/16" Tap Bolts 4" in length
- (2) 5/16" Wing nuts
- (2) 1" Nylon Spacers (1/2 x .328 x 1) [e.g. Hillman H#880440]
3) Get you a set of cheapo 52 mm skateboard wheels and bearings (here's the awesome thing - MakerBot spools have an inside diameter of just under 52 mm...)
1) Bolt through printed part, add the nylon spacer.
2) Hang on the back of your machine.
3) Press one skateboard wheel with bearings into the front side of 4 of your favorite MakerBot filament spools.
4) Slip the spool onto the rod, secure with the wing nut.
Optional: Convert to use MatterHacker spools
- Use a 6" 5/16" Tap Bolt instead of a 4"
- No need to use skateboard wheels.
- Print 2 MatterHacker spool inserts per MatterHacker Spool in your inventory.
- Get 2 additional 1" Nylon Spacers per MatterHacker Spool in your inventory.
- Assembly: Push a nylon spacer into a printed insert, x 2, fit these into the MatterHacker spool.
Optional (un-super): No skateboard wheel option for MakerBot Spools
- Print 2 MakerBot spool inserts per MakerBot Spool in your inventory.
- Get 2 additional 1" Nylon Spacers per MakerBot Spool in your inventory.
- Assembly: Push a nylon spacer into a printed insert, x 2, fit these into the MakerBot spool.