Replicator 2 No Squeek Super Cool Spool Holder Upgrade
by ajf, published
This is a replacement spool holder for the MakerBot Replicator 2 (or 2X). This spool holder pays out filament super smoothly and solves the plastic on plastic squeek/screech the original spool holder exhibits (as the MakerBot tugs on the filament during print jobs).
This spool holder can be easily adapted to use MatterHacker spools, etc.
1) Print two of the spool holders on its side (see image) using default medium resolution settings but with 50% infill. (Optional: carefully trim the support once printed).
2) While that is printing, go to Ace Hardware and get:
Parts List (Ace Hardware)
- (2) 5/16" Tap Bolts 4" in length
- (2) 5/16" Wing nuts
- (2) 1" Nylon Spacers (1/2 x .328 x 1) [e.g. Hillman H#880440]
3) Get you a set of cheapo 52 mm skateboard wheels and bearings (here's the awesome thing - MakerBot spools have an inside diameter of just under 52 mm...)
1) Bolt through printed part, add the nylon spacer.
2) Hang on the back of your machine.
3) Press one skateboard wheel with bearings into the front side of 4 of your favorite MakerBot filament spools.
4) Slip the spool onto the rod, secure with the wing nut.
Optional: Convert to use MatterHacker spools
- Use a 6" 5/16" Tap Bolt instead of a 4"
- No need to use skateboard wheels.
- Print 2 MatterHacker spool inserts per MatterHacker Spool in your inventory.
- Get 2 additional 1" Nylon Spacers per MatterHacker Spool in your inventory.
- Assembly: Push a nylon spacer into a printed insert, x 2, fit these into the MatterHacker spool.
Optional (un-super): No skateboard wheel option for MakerBot Spools
- Print 2 MakerBot spool inserts per MakerBot Spool in your inventory.
- Get 2 additional 1" Nylon Spacers per MakerBot Spool in your inventory.
- Assembly: Push a nylon spacer into a printed insert, x 2, fit these into the MakerBot spool.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Replicator 2 No Squeek Super Cool Spool Holder Upgrade by ajf is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving ajf a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure ajf would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).