Customisable Spirograph Vase Generator
by PaulM, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Remember Spirograph? Now available in 3d!
Classic spirograph involves rotating one cog around the inside or outside of another fixed cog. A pen is used through a hole in the rotating cog to trace out a spirograph pattern.
The spirograph vase extends this to the third dimension by extruding and twisting the spirograph pattern.
The parameters describing the "rotating cog" radius, "fixed cog" radius and distance of the "pen" determine the shape and pattern of the walls of the vase - which can take on many forms. You can then twist the resulting pattern and raise to whatever height you require.
Open in customiser to generate your own custom STL.
Note the render time is slow, so wait for the render to complete before changing another field otherwise the result may not match what you have in the customiser.
The vase shape and complexity is dependent on the ratio of the radius of the fixed to rotating cog, the number of turns and the distance of the virtual pen. Some settings will generate relatively simple, but attractive patterns, others will be highly complex. Experiment here to try things out quickly: http://www.artbylogic.com/spirographart/spirograph.htm
The number of nodes is dependent on the ratio of the fixed to rotating cog. If this ratio is integer then you'll only need one turn otherwise you'll need to increase "turns" to complete the pattern - however increasing it further will just trace out the same path.
Fine precision and layer height will cause very slow render times - note the layer height does not need to be really fine to produce smooth curves.
You can specify parameters which are not possible with a real spirograph such as the pen distance larger than the radius.
- Render times can be very slow. Try out some spirograph parameters somewhere like this: http://www.artbylogic.com/spirographart/spirograph.htm The default should render in a minute or two, whereas fine resolution may take hours.
- For vases with a large number of "nodes" on the spirograph circumference you'll need to increase the number of segments and hence the render time.
- Setting the wall width to the same as your nozzle won't necessarily produce a good single walled print because unfortunately the slicer is unlikely to follow the spirograph path.
- These vases can form slicer torture tests with endless retraction and lobes not sticking to the main vase - you should be able to improve this by adjusting wall widths and other parameters.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Customisable Spirograph Vase Generator by PaulM is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving PaulM a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure PaulM would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).