Replacement runners for Ikea RAST chest of drawers
by pozorvlak, published
The plastic runners on Ikea RAST chests of drawers break very easily, leading to stuck drawers and frustration. This Thing allows you to replace them with something better.
Many thanks to Dr Mike Prior-Jones (@mrpj100) and to Stuart at Glasgow MAKlab for their help with this project.
- Download the SVG file. The SCAD and STL files are from an earlier approach, and are included for interest; they should provide 3D-printable replacements for the existing runners, but I haven't actually tried them. Let me know if they work!
- Laser-cut the SVG file out of 8mm plastic sheet. HDPE would be best, because of its low friction; I used some scrap acrylic, which worked fine.
- Countersink the screw holes.
- Remove the drawers and the existing runners.
- Remove the plastic knobs from the inside of the drawers - since the new runners are not hollow, there's nowhere for them to go.
- Mark where the holes need to go on the wood.
- Using an awl or reamer, make starter holes for the screws.
- Screw in the new runners using 20mm size 4 self-tapping wood screws (I used these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-tite-prodrive-csk-4-x-20mm-pack-of-200/57300).
- Slide the drawers back into the chest.
- Rejoice in your new freely-sliding chest of drawers.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Replacement runners for Ikea RAST chest of drawers by pozorvlak is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving pozorvlak a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure pozorvlak would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).