by flurin, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
There are countless Z-Coupling for 3D-Printer: rigid, flexible, printable and other variations. I'm using the Slim-Z-Coupling for a couple of weeks and I thought it's mature to propose this solution.
- Slim and light.
- No need of screws.
- The Slim-Z-Coupling is rigid in the radial but flexible int axial-direction.
- Easy to build with simple tools.
- Using the Z-Support-Bracket ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:52388 ) you can reduce the force on the motor-shaft.
- It reduces the Z-Axis-Wobble (additionally I recommend http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42260 or a similar solution).
Update: Slim-Z-Coupling2.tiff (white background)
The goal of this design was an easy DIY Z-Coupling. You need a couple of tubes and simple tools.
1x Alu-Tube od=10mm, id=8mm, 40mm long
1x Alu-Tube od=8mm, id=6mm, 20mm long
1x Brass-Tube od=6mm, id=5mm, 20 mm long
1x Brass-Tube od=2mm, id=1mm, 10.6mm long
- Cut the tubes.
- Saw the slots (alu-tube and brass-tube).
- Drill the 2mm hole (10/8mm alu-tube).
- Insert the 2/1mm brass-tube into the 10/8mm alu-tube hole and expand the ends with a nail or an adequate tool.
- To fix the threaded rod use a tape in order to increase the diameter of the threaded rod to approx. 8mm (I used a blue tape) and press it into the 10/8mm alu-tube.
- With the sandpaper reduce the diameter of the 6/5mm brass-tube. You should be able to insert the 6/5mm brass-tube into the 8/6mm alu-tube with light pressure.
- Put the 6/5mm brass-tube over the motor-shaft.
- Press the 8/6mm alu-tubes over the 6/5mm brass-tube (don't use a hammer! ).
- Insert the threaded rod with the 10/8mm alu-tube into the 8/6mm alu-tube.
Slim-Z-Coupling by flurin is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving flurin a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure flurin would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).