Customizable petal screw box
by bmcage, published
Recent Commentsview all
What version? I'm using version 2013.02.03
That is what customizer here seems to run. Perhaps paste your parameters (top section of scad file) here? You also need the libraries that thingiverse has installed:
use <utils build_plate.scad="">;
use <mcad fonts.scad="">;
MCAD is part of version 2013.02.03, but build_plate.scad you need to download and save in utils dir</mcad></utils>
The scad file keeps crashing openscad every time I try to compile it. Even with the default settings.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
This is a box you can customize, which screws together via petal screws in the form of 2 to 6 petals. Printed in two colors, this makes a great gadget or an actual box to use. Text can be printed on the base, and via dualstrusion, this text can be in a different color.
Note: At the moment customizer renders this thing very badly. I'll open a ticket about that. If too unnerving, download and edit with openscad instead
You need to print two pieces, which have the same screwheight, twist and number of petals. These two will then nicely screw together in a really nice, smooth, action. Eg, you can print screwbox_3petalslong.stl two times in different colors, and you'll have a full box.
You can customize:
1. how big the box is (the diameter)
2. height of the actual box. The height of the base will be added to this.
3. height of the screw petals. This should be equal or less than the height of the box
4. a logo text to engrave in the base. Could also be text with what is inside. Default is the ingegno website, so you'll have to change this. Make it big enough or it will not print nicely! Set height of text sufficiently big. As support for dualstrusion, if part is 'text', only this text is shown
5. amount of petals
6. thickness of the petals. Don't make them too thin!
7. there's an option to reinforce the petals, if you want them to be more sturdy.
8. box can be clockwise or ant-clockwise, whatever is your preference
9. base height. Make thick for heavy stuff. You also need grip to screw the box open. If the box is all petals, you need some base height to screw
10. resolution. This is amount of lines used to draw circles. Increase if the preview is too blocky. Increasing this slows down render and STL generation though
11. clearance. You can add some clearance between the petals in degrees. This should not be needed if you print fine layers, and do a minimal amount of sanding. If you set it, set it to something really small (0.01?) as gaps between the petals are not nice to see.
Credit: This design is based on a gadget I saw at ProtoLab, Kortrijk, Belgium (http://www.protolab.be/). Designed from scratch in openscad though.
UPDATE 3 March 2013: tweaked the ranges. Now you can also make a box without twisted petals. Also, default font size 12 mm.
UPDATE 4 March 2013: fixed error in scad concerning the stopper, which becomes evident on large boxes. There was a hole of a fraction of a mm. Also, tappering off of the reinforcement.
UPDATE 5 March 2013: fixed error where compiled version was different from the version you see in customizer (a CGAL issue with difference). Also, clearance should be small
You must be logged in to post a comment.