We're excited and proud to launch Thingiverse Apps. Learn More about what this means to you.
Another filament spool design, using cheap aluminium tube. 6mm tube for the arms, 12mm tube for the axle - no bearings. OpenSCAD and STL files attached.
Inspired by http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13961
1) Print 3x spoolArms and 1x spoolHub.
2) Cut 6mm aluminium tube to suitable lengths - I used 180mm lengths to give an outer reel diameter < 300mm
3) Drill out the arm holes to 6mm
4) Insert aluminium arm tubes
5) Slide on plastic arms
6) Cut 12mm aluminium tube to suitable length for the axle - I used a leftover piece and suspended it above my printer using wire.
7) Load filament - easiest way is to slide one of the plastic arms against the hub, then loop the filament over other two arms and finally slide the last arm back out to hold the filament securely
8) Slide spool onto axle
If it's a small reel of filament, then twist the arms sideways to hold the filament securely.
Simple Filament Spool using Aluminium Tube by axford is licensed under the Creative Commons - Public Domain Dedication license.
So what's this mean?
We're sure axford would love to see what you've printed - take a photo and share it on Thingiverse as a Make.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. You can also download the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store) to take a photo and upload your Make right from the app!