Loading

Versatile Servo Bracket System

by bryanandaimee, published

Versatile Servo Bracket System by bryanandaimee Jan 25, 2011

Featured Thing!

Description

This will hopefully be a versatile servo bracket system for robotics. I designed the holes to be spaced the same as the mounting holes on the servos and equidistant in both directions (square;)so brackets and/or servos should bolt together in many different configurations. The holes are a little closer to one of the long edges allowing a servo to be bolted on along that side directly. I don't know if that will ever be used, but I thought it might come in handy. It is sized for full size hobby servo motors.

The files are in inches, so you may need to scale them in your system. They were created in google sketchup, so if you want other file formats I can only save to formats supported by sketchup. Pictures will follow soon. The servos I have are HS-322HD, so that is what I know it fits. Hopefully it will fit other full size servos. If you have a similar size servo that doesn't work with these brackets please let me know what changes are needed to make it more universal. I have a 2 DOF quad nearly finished using these brackets so pictures of that will be forthcoming as well. I'll soon be adding a connector to enable 3 DOF arms/legs.

Update: Connectors added for 3 DOF limbs. Also I updated the brackets to be a little longer at the end. This will help prevent the ends splitting when screwing the bracket to the horn. The "Inside" brackets are a little narrower to be fitted inside the horn and the "outside" brackets are designed to attach outside the horn.

Here is the 2DOF Quad http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6321, and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ne67bbpSQ is a youtube video of the 2DOF walker in action. The controller is a Jaluino with a servo shield I designed myself.

Recent Comments

view all
Okay I think I've got it! In netfabb clicked repair, changed to action tab and then clicked "close all holes" and apply. Then exported part as STL and it asked to repair before exporting which I did.
Having trouble slicing/printing the inside short bracket. Opened in netfabb and changed to mm but still no dice.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39688 this one seems to slice okay though - Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong?
Yes, my original idea was to make a replacement back plate with axis built in. I may still do that but I'm not sure it could be made universal. I don't have more than one type to test and it doesn't seem that the bolt pattern would necessarily be exactly the same. So I went with the glued button instead. Plus I'm not sure I could get the tiny holes and tight tolerances needed for the back plate to work. I'm still pretty new at this stuff.

Makes

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Print one button and one bracket per servo. Glue the button opposite the servo horn. (ABS glue and E-6000 both work OK and still allow for later removal, I'm still experimenting with other glues.) A little sanding and cleaning of both surfaces before gluing helps a lot.

Bolt brackets together with #6 bolts or something similar(M3?). Attach the bracket to the horn with a couple small screws. I haven't found a glue that will do the horn attachment to ABS very well. The bracket has a shallow inset on the inside wall on one side. This is meant to go on the horn side of the servo. On my servos it was needed for clearance.

Having trouble slicing/printing the inside short bracket. Opened in netfabb and changed to mm but still no dice.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39688 this one seems to slice okay though - Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong?
Servo bracket system - NIC edit
by nic6911
Okay I think I've got it! In netfabb clicked repair, changed to action tab and then clicked "close all holes" and apply. Then exported part as STL and it asked to repair before exporting which I did.
Cool.

I've made servo hinges in the past via aluminum+drilling/bolting the bottom case, but I was thinking that it might be possible/useful to make a new bottom case for the servo with the axis/button/bearingmount built-in.
Yes, my original idea was to make a replacement back plate with axis built in. I may still do that but I'm not sure it could be made universal. I don't have more than one type to test and it doesn't seem that the bolt pattern would necessarily be exactly the same. So I went with the glued button instead. Plus I'm not sure I could get the tiny holes and tight tolerances needed for the back plate to work. I'm still pretty new at this stuff.
Top