Case/Parts for Gen4 Interface Kit
by kitlaan, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Updated part info and replica (printable) original case for self-supplying the parts for the MakerBot Gen4 Interface Kit.
Since my ToM pre-dates the G4IK, I never thought I would want one. But my workflow for printing from the SD card has become increasingly tiresome (especially with Sailfish), so now I want one! Sadly, there's no kit available, so it's time to DIY!
First, order a PCB from batchpcb (pcb#79131, thanks to TheMakerGuy's thing:18416). (It's fully possible to protoboard or hand wire, but batchpcb provides a great service.)
[2013-07-03] Since thing:18416 is gone, bobc has graciously put up thing:110911 as a replacement.
Here are the part numbers and part cost (as of 2013-02-24) from Mouser:
- 1x 16x4 character LCD (668-NC-S16400XFGSAY; $16.09/ea. There may be other NMTC equivalents for cheaper, but they may not be the right dimensions.)
- 9x B3F 12x12mm std tactile switch (653-B3F-4055; $0.375/ea).
- 9x B3F switch keycap, grey (653-B32-1300; $0.25/ea). There are more colors; check the other 13xx parts.
- 2x 20-pin IDC socket, 3M (517-8920; $1.03/ea).
- 1x 20-pin IDC header, 3M (517-30320-6002; $0.57/ea)
- 3ft 20-pin ribbon cable (shielded/rounded: 517-3659/20FT; $1.47/ft. Basic: 517-3365/20FT; $0.38/ft).
- 2x 5v LED, red (696-SSLLX5093HD-5V; $0.27/ea).
- 2x 5v LED, green (696-SSLLX5093GD-5V; $0.25/ea).
- 4x resistor, 1kOhm (291-1K-RC; $0.054/ea).
- 9x resistor, 10kOhm (291-10K-RC; $0.054/ea).
- 1x trimpot, 10k 1/4"sq (72-T70YE-10K; $0.80/ea).
- 2x 8-pin, 8" .100 cable (538-28100-0335; $0.25/ea). two, to make 16-pins!
Feel free to order larger quantities to "save" on cost; there's bound to be things you can do with 50 resistors, extra buttons, or wire!
Hardware parts (from your parts bin, local hardware store, part supplier, amazon, etc):
- 4x M3 x 16mm socket cap bolt
- 4x M3 x 22mm socket cap bolt
- 8x M3 nut
- 4x M2 x 16mm socket cap bolt
- 4x M2 nut
While you're waiting for shipping & delivery, print the case.
- The case is designed in OpenSCAD (polygons imported from the original DXF). I've added built-in spacers and hex cutouts (which probably don't save plastic overall, but looks cool).
- Each part is split into halves (to fit a ToM build), with an extra set of mirrored side STLs. The way the parts have been halved, glue/acetone/cement may not be necessary to keep things together.
- The front has support pieces built-in so the M3 bolt head is recessed; just snap them out.
- Otherwise, construction is as per the instructions on makerbot's thingomatic PDF archive page.
- You may want to wait until the parts arrive to verify that all the bolt holes fit (especially the LCD).
- The left-most (X-) button may be tight against the case front; you may need to shave a few microns off the left side of the hole.
- Since plastic is a good source of static... be careful with the LCD -- there's warnings everywhere about static shock damage.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Case/Parts for Gen4 Interface Kit by kitlaan is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving kitlaan a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure kitlaan would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).