Loading

ANSI-25 floating chain tensioner

by lukevanhorn, published

ANSI-25 floating chain tensioner by lukevanhorn Mar 11, 2013

Description

This is a "floating" chain tensioner. Works great for taking the slack in low speed equipment. Works for horizontal or vertical applications. Use next to sprockets of smaller diameter.

Recent Comments

view all

Thanks for the input. This is not intended for bicycles.

A couple months in and it is working perfectly for my use. I previously tried a "fixed" tensioner and the floating ones actually work far better for the application. Plus, they just look neat. :)

I would like to add, this is not a great idea for all applications. If you have high torque, or high speed the ring my brake or just fall out. And depending on what is going on that might not be good at all. People used to do this with tandem bicycles, but that was just a stupid idea. So just be safe in what you are using this with.

I work in the bicycle industry. "Flouting Gear" is just not a good idea. Having a real chain tensioner is the best idea. One that would either pull or push the chain to a side, not pushing both the chains a part, and not being attached to anything.

Excellent idea! So simple and obvious once you see it :)

More from Parts

view more

Liked By

view all

Tags

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

amckimmey on Mar 19, 2013 said:

I would like to add, this is not a great idea for all applications. If you have high torque, or high speed the ring my brake or just fall out. And depending on what is going on that might not be good at all. People used to do this with tandem bicycles, but that was just a stupid idea. So just be safe in what you are using this with.

I work in the bicycle industry. "Flouting Gear" is just not a good idea. Having a real chain tensioner is the best idea. One that would either pull or push the chain to a side, not pushing both the chains a part, and not being attached to anything.

lukevanhorn on May 6, 2013 said:

Thanks for the input. This is not intended for bicycles.

A couple months in and it is working perfectly for my use. I previously tried a "fixed" tensioner and the floating ones actually work far better for the application. Plus, they just look neat. :)

MoonCactus on Mar 16, 2013 said:

Excellent idea! So simple and obvious once you see it :)

AMID on Mar 15, 2013 said:

Great Idea!

Mapembert on Mar 14, 2013 said:

Very clever. Big fan of this.

SlaveMassaDrivaJDCUBED on Mar 11, 2013 said:

It would be nice to see a version that was flexible and springy, like those printed expandable bracelets.

lukevanhorn on Mar 11, 2013 said:

Good idea. Also, cutting it in half down to ~2 layers of PLA might also offer a bit of flex.

fma on Mar 11, 2013 said:

What a great idea!

Top