Loading

Low Poly Mirror Mask

by thenextproject, published

Low Poly Mirror Mask by thenextproject Mar 17, 2013

Description

This project was stressful but rewarding. Swedish House Mafia was on tour for the last time as a group, and we (Matt and Neri) purchased tickets about five months before the concert in Los Angeles. The concert was called the Masquerade Motel, so we wanted to wear masks. Months before, Matt stumbled upon a site (http://testroete.com/index.php?location=mirror) that displayed a man wearing the coolest mask in the world, and we decided we wanted something similar. The mask was made of mirror-like material. Months passed, and we didn't really start working on the masks. We had trouble finding the perfect mirror material to work with. After weeks of looking for a template that we both liked, we found the low poly paper mask image on google that looked similar to what we wanted. We both decided to work with it. Then, a couple days later, Matt found the perfect material: acrylic mirror. Time was running out with a week and a half left before the concert. We worked on the masks for hours, up until 3 or 4 in the morning for a couple nights. The day of the concert came and Matt wasn't finished yet. Finally, about one hour before we had to leave, he finished it. We arrived in LA for the concert, and right away we were getting noticed. People loved our masks, and complemented us an incredible number of times. Some even stopped us and wanted to take pictures with us. These masks were a success bros!

Recent Comments

view all
Looks great, I would not cut all the parts out as loose parts but use a dremel with a 3D-printed spacer to just cut grooves in the plastic making it easier to fold it.

I can buy some cheap mirrored acrylics at my academy I think, so I'll see if I can arrange me some of that stuff next year when the academy opens again :)
that looks awesome!!! great job... :D
Thank You.

We made two different sizes. One was scaled down to 94%, and the other to about 98%. They didn't weight much. The one scaled to 94% only weighed 89.5 g. (3.157oz.). That's about 10 g. less than a regular deck of cards.

We had to do some adjustments to put this mask together. We cut the lips where the bend would be and attached them with an angle. We also had to shave off part off the pieces around the eyes where they both met. Thank you for your comment and thank you so much for the plans. These masks were exactly what we needed.

More from Costume

view more

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Working with acrylic mirror might be the best material to work with. Preferably about 1/16" in thickness. If it comes with a protective plastic layer, do not remove it until your mask is complete. Trace the shapes onto the backside of the mirror and cut them out. We agreed that a Dremel was the easiest way to cut the shapes out. Then, smoothen the edges with the Dremel, or a file. To put it together, we used a hot glue gun, but make sure you don't make too much contact with the tip of the gun and the mirror because you may cause damage to the mirror. We cut slits on the sides of the masks to attach Velcro strips to be able to wear the mask. You may use anything else. On the inside, we hot glued soft foam/sponge material for comfort. Once the mask is finished, remove the protective plastic layer. If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We may take a while to reply, but we eventually will. We would love to see your mirror masks, and other creative materials you used to create your masks. Good Luck.

Looks great, I would not cut all the parts out as loose parts but use a dremel with a 3D-printed spacer to just cut grooves in the plastic making it easier to fold it.

I can buy some cheap mirrored acrylics at my academy I think, so I'll see if I can arrange me some of that stuff next year when the academy opens again :)
that looks awesome!!! great job... :D
Cool!

How heavy are your masks?

Did the acrylic bend with the curves of the mask, or did you have to alter the mask from my design? (Not all of the "polys" in my version flat). I know the making the mask from heavy card stock has tested the patience of more than a few souls, so props to you guys for finishing acrylic versions.
Thank You.

We made two different sizes. One was scaled down to 94%, and the other to about 98%. They didn't weight much. The one scaled to 94% only weighed 89.5 g. (3.157oz.). That's about 10 g. less than a regular deck of cards.

We had to do some adjustments to put this mask together. We cut the lips where the bend would be and attached them with an angle. We also had to shave off part off the pieces around the eyes where they both met. Thank you for your comment and thank you so much for the plans. These masks were exactly what we needed.
Top