by Buback, published
Importantly, this design uses bearings, so you either need to salvage them from your current carriage or have 9 extras on hand.
This design has a number of key advantages: it is quick to print and assemble; it is light; ; it has a huge central opening to accommodate many hot end designs plus insulation and/or fan; No captive nuts; Easy access to extruder mounting points; it can 'clip' on and off of the x axis rails and belt.
Edit: I should mention that there are only the two compatible mounting holes, and that they are perpendicular to the regular x carriage. This is so you can mount a wades extruder sideways. There are other holes, as you can see in the renders, but they aren't in the same place as the regular carriage (at least i didn't design it to be, maybe i got lucky)
thingiverse.com/thing:7772 - Carriage body
thingiverse.com/thing:17971 - Arm
Also check out the the Y carriage redesign: thingiverse.com/thing:6641
Recent Commentsview all
I found that the belt slips because there's too much play where the belt teeth meets the carriage clamp. I secured it with tie wrap (see my photo). I think it would hold better if the tip where it meets the belt is wider and it matches the gap between the belt teeth. Other than that, it works really well.
I thought this was a big problem until I used some washers to standoff the extruder from the OpenX. Might work for you.
The problem is that the Herringbone's gear dips slightly below its base and thus contacts the carriage, it's a bit of a flaw in that extruder's design now that I think about it. I've already designed a mounting plate as you suggest and I'll put it up here once I've printed it out and tested it, in the mean time a bit of 6mm MDF should do the job fine.
There are also some part variations on the bottom of the wiki page that some of you might be interested in.
You must be logged in to post a comment.