3DBotic Filament Guide for Filament Spool Holder
by 3dbotic_com, published
This filament guide is designed to work with the 3DBotic simple filament spool holder found at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36460
UPDATE: 2013-03-31 New version of the STL file uploaded. This version has a thin (2 printed layers) rectangular piece at the tall end of the filament guide. This thin piece keeps the part stuck to the hotbed so that the part cannot warp during printing. It works really well, and is meant to be trimmed off after the part is printed. See the "thingiview" image of the part. I left the old file up if that is your preference.
A cooling fan is recommended when printing this part in PLA for either version.
1) This part is designed to work with a Mendel Max that uses aluminum extrusions for the top horizontal frame of the printer.
2) This guide is designed to work with the filament spool holder found at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36460
3) Print this part. If printing in PLA, a cooling fan is recommended for the taller section.
4) Use (1) M5 x 10mm Socket Head Cap Screw, 1 M5 T-Slot nut, and 1 M5 washer to attach this guide to the frame, as shown in the photos.
5) Mount this spool holder so it touches the edges (flanges) of the filament spool, and creates a little bit of drag. Not a lot! Just enough to keep the spool from spinning on its own.
6) thread the filament throught this guide then through the top of the printer frame, then down to the extruder. If you already have a filament inserted into your hot end, you will need to heat it up to remove it.
This guide can be used with any spools that vary in width between about 65mm to 90mm. Diameter is not critical as the filament guide can be mounted on the vertical frame section and slid up or down as needed to match the spool diameter.
Let me know in the comments if a version with a loading slot is desired, and I can modify the design and post it. This will make it easier to load a filament that is already "frozen" into the hot end, but the trade off is a loss of structural strength and stiffness (rigidity) of this part.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
3DBotic Filament Guide for Filament Spool Holder by 3dbotic_com is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving 3dbotic_com a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure 3dbotic_com would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).