by MacGyvrBot, published
What? Did you think that self-replicating 3D printers are fully grown when they are born?
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
- Print two sets of baby bot parts using two different colors of ABS.
- Coat the parts with solvent* to make them strong, sand off flanges and rough spots, then coat again and sand again.
- Make sure all the parts fit together, then assemble two-colored baby bots and solvent-bond the parts.
- Sand again to make smooth joints and coat with solvent again for a glossy finish.
- Drill tiny holes and use pieces of extruded filament to go from the spool to the extruder.
*WARNING: -Use CAUTION during solvent bonding! -Use solvent with MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) such as Oatey cleaner (yellow label white can) made for ABS plumbing pipe (or use acetone or superglue). -Work in well-ventilated area. -Use eye protection. -The solvent dissolves many things, and the wet plastic stains whatever it touches! -Use latex NOT vinyl gloves! -Use aluminum foil on work surface! -The solvent can also be used to heal delaminated parts, but BE CAREFUL!