Bed Levelling Kit with Calculator
by dgm3333, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Having quickly got frustrated at attempting to iteratively level the bed, I decided to create a calculator to do it as a single stage.
Primarily this thing is the calculator, but the decimal knob makes it easier to figure out the number of turns correctly, and the printable gauge is a good option if you don't have a dial-test-indicator.
EDIT: Not having realised how popular the gauge would be I used my original 'rough draft'. I've now updated it to a parametric version
EDIT: And modified some defaults and added a (paper) printed scale.
EDIT: 29/5/13: Updated the spreadsheet with a 2nd sheet for 3-point bed levelling
EDIT: 23/10/14: Updated the spreadsheet to improve accuracy and simplify levelling with caliper/depth gauge for the 3-support sheet
If you wish, print out the decimal knurled knobs for each bed support screw and number the points 0-9 with a permanent marker).
The gauge should be printed and the faces printed on the bed screwed together. It then hooks over the two x-axis bars, and pushes up against the x-carriage to hold it steady. You might want to stick a little label on it to measure the millimetres (see http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23790 for instructions on its use).
If you're using this gauge then you should measure p0 then p2 to save moving it along the x-axis before finally measuring p1
Now load up the Excel spreadsheet and proceed:-
Instructions for first time use:
- Set the x,y origin to the location you wish to have at height z=0
(after calibration the rest of the bed will be aligned to be at this height)
- Enter the locations of each of the s0-s3 bed supports (just ignore s3 if you only have 3 screws)
- Set the x,y locations for the 3 points (p0-p2) you will use to define the pre-calibrated plane of the bed
(p1 should be along the x axis from p0, p2 should be along the y-axis from p0)
- Set the thread pitch (ie how much the bed will move with one complete turn of the screw)
- Save these settings
Instructions for each calibration:
- Measure and enter the z-height for p0-p3 in the green boxes
(if you can't remember how far to move along the x-axis then the yellow boxes are to remind you)
(or you can just edit the g-code)
- Turn each screw the number of turns listed in the blue boxes
- Print away... (if you've done it correctly)
Bed Levelling Kit with Calculator by dgm3333 is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving dgm3333 a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure dgm3333 would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).