Smooth-O-Matic Parts Polisher and Rock Tumbler
by 2n2r5, published
Tired of having to use a exact-o knife to clean off your 3d printed parts?
Well then, just throw you parts in a 1 quart paint can with some rocks, wait several hours and voilÃ ! You have partially cleaned parts that still need to be deburred. err, well .... Maybe I did something wrong. I am sure you will have better luck.
This is a video of it working.
This is a great low cost DIY solution for those who don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a rock tumbler. I have had mine running now for a coupler hours. I don't know if the parts are getting cleaned but I do know that it seems to be functioning as expected. I will probably be selling the kits. I don't really know what to use as an abbrasive. I went with a bag of small gravel from home depot. The gravel doesn't seem to work at all for me. It might just need a lot more time. I think I will head to Harbour Frieght and get a bag of walnut shells tomorrow.
REV 2.0 Coming Soon
Improvements in version 2:
- addition of a 3rd gear
- a new frame
- all new gears
- Gear box cover
- Electronics upgrade including Speed control*
*depends on if the parts come in before I am done
Home Depot -
- 3/8" x 36" Round Rod - Aluminum
- 1 1/2" x 2' PVC Pipe Section
- 3M Safety Walk 2 in. x 15 ft. Step and Ladder Tread Tape
- 1 Roll of Duct Tape (if you don't already have some laying around. You won't need much)
- 2 x BEHR 1 Qt. Metal Paint Bucket and Lid
American Science & Surplus (ASS)
- 45 RPM 6VDC Motor with 1/8" Shaft
- ZEBRA 6.5VDC SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY or equivilant
Settings: 2 shells, 20% infill, .3mm layers
- 1 x Frame_Front or Frame_Front_Half_Width (half width is shown)
- 1 x Frame_Back
- 4 x Roller_End_Cap
- 1 x Motor_Housing
- 4 x PVC_Bushing
- 1 x Motor_Gear
- 1 x Roller_Gear
- 4 x Can_Fins_Insert (2 per can)
- Cut 24" PVC Pipe into 2 equal pieces of 12" long
- Cut 2 x 16" lengths from 3/8" Aluminum Round Bar ( this will be a little long but will be trimmed after you dry fit everything)
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Smooth-O-Matic Parts Polisher and Rock Tumbler by 2n2r5 is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure 2n2r5 would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).