Counterbot UVC Countertop Sanitizer
by LoboCNC, published
This little bot will roam your countertops, Roomba-style, sanitizing your work surfaces with high-intensity UVC light. This version is just a demonstration prototype (it still needs control electronics and software) but a complete future version will include:
- Bump sensing, drop-off sensing, tilt sensing
- Safety and auto-timer shutoffs
- Navigation Algorithm
- Wall charger unit
See it move at: https://youtu.be/2rI_AWi3CdA
To build this version, you will need:
1 - CVS pocket-sized UVC Sanitizing Wand, cannibalized (from e-bay)
1 – EG2208 2-pole slide switch (from Digikey)
2 - GH12-1324Y gear motors (from Jameco)
2 - 3/32” thick, 3/4” ID O-rings for tires
4 - AA batteries (preferably with welded tabs)
5 – 4-40 x 3/8” socket cap screws
hookup wire,superglue, foam tape
CAUTION: The UV light can damage your eyes! Do not stare into the UV light or shine it on your pets, children, etc.!
- Print one TOP part, one BOTTOM part and two WHEEL parts. The BOTTOM part will need to be printed with supports.
- Remove the covers from the sanitizer. Unsolder the lamp leads and the battery terminal leads from the driver board. Remove the driver board, the lamp and the reflector. Insert the reflector/lamp assembly into the slot in the BOTTOM – the rubber grommet around the leads should fit snugly between the posts at the end of the slot. Screw the driver board onto the mounting posts with 2 screws and re-attach the lamp wires.
- Scotch tape the 4 batteries together and interconnect them + to – to form a 6v cell. (I was bad and soldered wires directly to standard batteries – not recommended!) Insert the battery pack into the clip.
- Use an abrasive wheel to cut the motor shaft down to 3/16” in length. Assemble the O-rings onto the wheels and press the wheels onto the motor shafts, leaving a small gap between the wheel and the motor. Put a small piece of foam tape on the side of the gearhead housing that will touch the TOP. Place the motors and wheels into the BOTTOM.
- Use a tiny amount of superglue to glue the slide switch onto the notch above the switch cutout in the BOTTOM. The slider should be facing the cutout and the pins should be pointing towards the inside.
- Wire everything up according to the wiring diagram.
- Assemble the TOP to the BOTTOM with 3 screws.
Note that the UV lamp driver has a built-in tilt switch that will turn off the UV lamp if the board is tilted upwards. Even so, take care not to shine the light into anyone's eyes.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Counterbot UVC Countertop Sanitizer by LoboCNC is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
We're sure LoboCNC would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).