Loading

Customizable Gimbal

by mphardy, published

Customizable Gimbal by mphardy Apr 14, 2013

Description

This is an improved version of my Parametric Gimbal thing. It now will work in The Customizer allowing you to easily create different configurations easily.

Recent Comments

view all

I couldn't get the pins unstuck until I went to rectilinear fill. The hex fill I usually print with (slic3r) was keeping it from forming decent bearings.

Very nice model, prints very well, works right out of the box... er, print plate :).

I think Slic3r has issues with keeping two abutting objects distinct. I have printed this without issue through MakerWare using both the Skeinforge and MiracleGure backends. I have always printed it at .1 mm layers.

If you continue to have issues you can adjust the tolerances with the customizer.

More from 3D Printing Tests

view more

Liked By

view all

License

Customizable Gimbal by mphardy is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

The sliders in the 'Gimbal' tab are near idiot-proof. The 'Advanced' tab has parameters that can easily lead to ruin. Specifically it is easy to get the pins to print adhered to the hole the should spin in.

Additional support is provided to the pins via an inner channel that causes double the number of walls to be printed providing twice the support to this critical area.

I printed this on a Makerbot Replicator 2 with Sailfish firmware and the default "high" profile in MakerWare.

Enjoy!

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

wd5gnr on Feb 11, 2014 said:

I couldn't get the pins unstuck until I went to rectilinear fill. The hex fill I usually print with (slic3r) was keeping it from forming decent bearings.

machina on Jul 13, 2013 said:

Very nice model, prints very well, works right out of the box... er, print plate :).

hkazmi on Jun 25, 2013 said:

So it slices and prints nicely, though the inner pins are stuck/fused with outer hole. trying to force them loose just breaks the thing :( Am I doing something wrong.

Slicing with Slic3r 0.9.9 with .3 first layer .2 other layers. Printing with ABS, 0.5mm nozzle.

mphardy on Jun 26, 2013 said:

I think Slic3r has issues with keeping two abutting objects distinct. I have printed this without issue through MakerWare using both the Skeinforge and MiracleGure backends. I have always printed it at .1 mm layers.

If you continue to have issues you can adjust the tolerances with the customizer.

Ohmarinus on Apr 16, 2013 said:

First thing I'll print tomorrow when I wake up ;)

Ohmarinus on Apr 17, 2013 said:

OKay, the model has gaps. Netfabb to the rescue!

NinjaGladiator96 on Apr 16, 2013 said:

Simply awesome.

Top